Henry VIII's sabre reproduction
Late last year I had a commission from the RA to make a series of reproductions of pieces in their collection. Even more fortunately I got to handle all the pieces and amongst those was the magnificent sabre of Henry VIII.

The blade is 38.5" long and the guard is chiseled steel in the form of a snake with part scales and part floral decoration. The original was gilded but is so worn away you can only see this in the deepest of the engraved lines. The wooden handle scales have been repaired and have a fillet section missing along the back edge. On very close inspection (not noticed previously by the curators) the scales were originally fabric covered and this could be seen by the weave indents on the patina. What this fabric once was we will never know.

The repro I made for the RA kept the handle as it is displayed has no fabric covering and no fillet between the scales on the back edge.

So I had a commission to make another of these sabres and wanted to do it right this time.

The blade is a typical sabre blade and so it starts very thick at the guard, 8mm in this case and over the next 15cm thins to 5.5mm and then maintains this thickness for another 30cm and then tapers down from there to 2mm near the tip. The result is a wicked slashing blade that is of course blade heavy as there is no pommel and as a sabre should be.

The guard is steel and the handle scales are elm covered in a rust red/royal blue shot silk fabric and closed with decorative washers riveted with brass pins.

I hope you like the result.

I will get some stats tomorrow.

Tod

Attachment: 84.19 KB
IMGP2264.jpg

Attachment: 152.64 KB
IMGP2265.jpg

Attachment: 117.29 KB
IMGP2267.jpg

Attachment: 81.72 KB
IMGP2269.jpg

Attachment: 76.07 KB
IMGP2270.jpg

Attachment: 118.61 KB
IMGP2273.jpg

Attachment: 84.07 KB
IMGP2277.jpg

Almost 39 inches of blade presence ! YOWZAH ! MUST be heavy, hopefully that
will be one of the stats you provide ...

Beautiful work. Neat and simple with just that necessary hint of elegance. As a
self-styled saber-fan I'm always curious as to the lack of a weighty pommel on
sabers that effect the point of balance ... it just seems that the cutting, chopping,
and slashing nature of the sword means more weight in the blade ...

Do you have a picture available of the historical piece ?

B-)
Nice lines, and curves in the right places... Sexy... I like it!
Flamboyant...the man definitely like his toys!
The aggressive and non-linear distal taper looks really good. It is a shame more sabre makers just don't seem to get it or are only willing to use thinner stock to start with.

Love the quillons.

Cheers

GC
Leo,

That is really stunning work. I love every element. Do you think the cloth cover on the handle would stand up to use? I wonder if it would tear around the brass pins.
outstanding. that guard decoration is wonderful.
Impressive. Not every sword looks better the closer you look!
Beautiful work. How long is the grip, looks to be of hand and a half proportions maybe?
The stats are

Weight 3lb 5oz / 1500g
POB 8" / 20cm from guard
handle length 8" / 20cm

Tod

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: