Searching for sources of two handed maces
Hello guys

I am searching for sources for two handed maces being used by Eurasian Nomads in XIII-XV century..

I have seen some with long cavalry maces wielded in one hand with no shield in the other, but I would really appreciate it if anyone would share any source, where it is clear that the mace wielded is two handed..

Here is what I got already:

Attachment: 101.59 KB
[ Download ]
Another one:

Best regards
Kristoffer

Attachment: 70.9 KB
Twohanded_Mace_1.jpg

Last one.. :)

Attachment: 231.5 KB
Twohanded_Mace_2.jpg

Speculative drawings can't be used as evidence. You need physical examples. An extant mace head that weighs 2kg or more is likely to be from a two-hander (unless it is a ceremonial mace). Manouchehr's book has a Persian example that is 101cm in length and weighs 2910g.
I know these drawings doesn't prove anything, that is why I came here in hope of someone else having knowledge about some known documentation. Most sources on the subject is in russian, and I can't read that..

Good tip on the weight of the mace head. I will try to look that book up.. Thank you.
You would be looking at something like this Indian two handed mace.

Indian sonta (a long club like mace), a very massive and heavy solid steel weapon at 37 inches in length and 8 lbs in weight, the entire shaft is carved with a spiral twist for its length and bands at intervals originally inlaid with brass, each face of the eight faceted head carved with repeating tendril and leaf design, a loop at the opposite end for attaching a strap, weapons such as this were used in India from medieval times, showing great age, possibly 16th to 17th century or older.
[ Linked Image ]

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: