Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Thoughts on the Albion Knud? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on the Albion Knud?         Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with the Albion Knud (photos would be great too)? I noticed it is one of the Albion swords which has not had an official review, and I read very little about it, even using search and google. What I can find is quite dated, back to around 2005. I am trying to round out my very small collection of swords. I currently have a Knight that fills the medieval single-hander category, and I have a Sempach on order which fills the later style, and bastard sword categories. I figure that a Viking sword would fit nicely into the collection (especially as I have very little interest in later swords, such as rapiers).

Of all the Viking swords in Albion's line-up, the Knud is by far the most visually appealing to me. My biggest concern is that it will be too similar to my Knight. Normally that wouldn't be a bad thing, as I love how the Knight feels in the hand. The problem is that the whole point in buying a Viking era sword is to have it be different from a medieval sword. The Thegn is the only other Viking sword that appeals to me, and I know from reviews alone that it would probably have a very different feel than my Knight. The problem lies in the fact that the Knud is so much prettier a sword to me, particularly in proportions.

Any help would be appreciated.
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on the Albion Knud?         Reply with quote

You might want to contact William Swiger. I know he has or at least had one if not any more. I personally haven't had one in my possession, but I know it isn't a big seller in talking with the powers that be. I like it, and I've been tempted by it before. I would certainly like to have the opportunity to get to know the Knud one day.
Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the head's up Brian. Wink I'll send William a message in case he doesn't come across this thread. I checked on your website gallery to see if anyone had commissioned a Knud scabbard before I posted here, and unfortunately it doesn't look like it. It seems that you're right about it being a less popular model.
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I suspect it is not a good seller because it is a bit of an odd duck... Not quite "Viking!" enough for those looking for a typical viking sword, and yet a bit too viking for those looking for something medieval. No doubt due to its transitional nature, straddling the era when the viking sword was morphing into the medieval.
A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin summed it up well. I have most of Albion's viking swords and their migration sword.

the Knud just does not do it for me. I would have to get a really good deal on it to buy one.

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm sure you guys are right. Good point Robin, but still, historical importance aside, it is one nice looking sword.

By the way, we need more "Smiths" posting in this thread. Laughing Out Loud
Robert Muse

PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: sword         Reply with quote

I had one. It was the first Viking sword I sold off. I just could not warm to it.

Robert
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: sword         Reply with quote

Robert Muse wrote:
I had one. It was the first Viking sword I sold off. I just could not warm to it.

Robert

I'd love to hear more Robert. Was it the aesthetics of it or the feel/ handling that didn't make it speak to you? or a combination of both?... For that matter, I'm curious what your favorite of their Viking swords is, for comparison.
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 27 Oct, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just pulled some pictures from the files with the Knud in them. I consider the Knud and Gaddhjalt a little outside what I would consider a traditional Viking sword.

I look at the Knud as a variation of the AE type Suontaka and Valkyrja swords respectively without the bells and whistles. It has a type Xa blade but comparing Oakeshott and Geibigs blade types can muddy the waters so to speak.

The grip is 3 1/2 inches and is fine for me. The shape of the hilt allows a little more room for the hand to spread out. It is comfortable in the handshake or hammer grip. The sword has a solid feel to it and does not feel light or heavy in hand.

I own a few other Albion Viking swords and the Knud compares favorably to them.

Let me know if I can provide any more opinions on the sword.

Bill
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Sun 27 Oct, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for that Bill>

I own or have owned most of the Albion 'Viking' swords, not the Knund. I kick myself for not buying the Valkyrja.

I did not like the Gaddhjalt and sold it with in weeks of buying it, it is indeed a spike hilt and tended to bite my wrist when handled.

sorry for the fuzy photo

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Sun 27 Oct, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the photos and reply Bill! The photos do an excellent job of putting the Knud in context with other Type Xa and XII swords. It really does look very similar to the Caithness, which I know uses the same blade as the Knight and Laird, both of which I've owned. That probably explains why I like it so much...I really like that blade profile...but I agree that it makes it look less like a "traditional" Viking sword. Based on what I'm seeing, I'd probably love the Knud, but it likely wouldn't fit the role I'm looking for of a Viking sword.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the Knud has a more gradual and even profile taper towards the tip than the Albion Type XII's. That is very appealing to me...the one complaint I have about the Knight/ Laird/ Caithness is how abruptly the profile taper changes to get more dramatic towards the tip.

David, I know exactly what you mean about selling a sword off quick because it bites you. I absolutely loved (and still do) the looks of the Laird, but the spikes on the cross are almost as dangerous as the blade. Laughing Out Loud I got myself a couple times with them and ultimately it was enough to make me sell it. It was interesting to read your opinion of the Gaddhjalt because it seems to get such high praise around here. I've read many people who say it is their favorite handling sword in their collection.

I'll have to give the Knud vs Thegn dilemma some more thought. I need to decide if feel and appearance are more important, or historical accuracy for my given collection.
Joshua R

PostPosted: Sun 27 Oct, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting: I just sold my Gaddhjalt because I don't like the way that it handles. I had a Stamford that I sold because the pummel was uncomfortable.

And now I'm looking for something new to replace it as the Viking sword in my collection and the Knud has always intrigued me, so I have been looking at it and (primarily) the Reeve. And the Berserkr. That one also interests me, although I suspect that if I didn't like the Gaddhjalt, I really won't like the Berserkr and the Berserkr's pommel is probably little better than the Stamford's.

I, too, only have two other swords - a Gallowglass and a Count (I'm more fond of longswords). Of the two, the Gallowglass is my favorite, but I like the way the Count handles better. I wouldn't complain about something that handles more like the Gallowglass, though.

" For Augustus, and after him Tiberius, more interested in establishing and increasing their own power than in promoting the public good, began to disarm the Roman people (in order to make them more passive under their tyranny).... "
-N. Machiavelli, The Art of War
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 27 Oct, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From an esthetic point of view, the chunky cross does not match the relatively slender blade IMHO. If the Knud had a wider blade I would buy it. Indeed I once tried to buy a very similar custom AE with a wider blade, but it didn't work out.
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Sun 27 Oct, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joshua R wrote:
. And the Berserkr. That one also interests me, although I suspect that if I didn't like the Gaddhjalt, I really won't like the Berserkr and the Berserkr's pommel is probably little better than the Stamford's..

I love my Berserker. I got mine new for really cheep with the idea of holding on to it and flipping it for profit,
Keeping it. I have a Stanford it feels much nicer than the Stanford

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Sun 27 Oct, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Lewis Smith wrote:
I love my Berserker. I got mine new for really cheep with the idea of holding on to it and flipping it for profit,
Keeping it. I have a Stanford it feels much nicer than the Stanford

How do you like your Thegn, David? Most everything I've read on the Thegn seems to be people ranting and raving about how much they love the handling. I'm not a huge guy myself, so the size and weight are pretty appealing. My biggest concern with the Thegn is that it might feel TOO small...almost like a machete or a long knife. If it still definitely feels like a sword I'd consider it even more closely.
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Sun 27 Oct, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

D. S. Smith wrote:
How do you like your Thegn, David? Most everything I've read on the Thegn seems to be people ranting and raving about how much they love the handling. I'm not a huge guy myself, so the size and weight are pretty appealing. My biggest concern with the Thegn is that it might feel TOO small...almost like a machete or a long knife. If it still definitely feels like a sword I'd consider it even more closely.

I really like the Thegn, I am not tall, 5'9" tall, about 200 LBS. I am fit, not super fit but above average. I power lift which has left me with large hands. The Thegn fits well in my hands. It feels light but not light and flimsy just 'light'. I love its look and its feel. It is not a blade for show, it will bring home the dough, if you follow my meaning. The pommel will smash some ones mustache as my Italian friends would say, The guard and pommel are comfortable to the hand in any grip. On that note I would not 'slip' the grip and use just the pommel, that is a much later period style any how. Over all it is a good solid sword that is light but not wimpy

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Sun 27 Oct, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I appreciate the feedback. It adds to what I've already been hearing to the point that I doubt I will find someone who doesn't like the Thegn's handling. I'm glad that someone of your stature doesn't think it is too wimpy. I'm not far off in size, 5'10" and about 170/180, but less muscular than you. Sounds like the Thegn would be just the ticket for when my M4 runs out of ammo and the Zulu tribes are cresting the hill. Laughing Out Loud

Back on a more serious note, I like the grip size of both the Thegn and Knud (they seem similar on paper). The Knight has a very good feel to the handling, but the longer grip does not seem secure for swinging for long periods of time. Having the hand "locked in" a little better by the cross and pommel would seem to be more comfortable.
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Sun 27 Oct, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I avoid fights with the Zulu, they always end badly for any one that is not Zulu, just saying
David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 28 Oct, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My comments are slightly off-topic, but they bear consideration, especially for those buying Brazil nut swords or other pommels that "dig into your hands". Before you sell the sword, try playing around with and adjusting the way you grip the sword. Antique Viking and Medieval swords that had these types of pommels needed to be usable by warriors in conflicts and wars. It is highly unlikely that a pommel shape that digs into your wrist would have lasted at all, much less for several centuries, as Brazil nut pommels did. The same is true for other types of pommels that dig into the wrist. If historical warriors were comfortable using swords with these pommels in war, then something must need adjusting or fine tuning with the way you are holding the sword, or the way that you are striking with it. Before you sell, spend some time altering the way you hold and use the sword.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 28 Oct, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
My comments are slightly off-topic, but they bear consideration, especially for those buying Brazil nut swords or other pommels that "dig into your hands". Before you sell the sword, try playing around with and adjusting the way you grip the sword. Antique Viking and Medieval swords that had these types of pommels needed to be usable by warriors in conflicts and wars. It is highly unlikely that a pommel shape that digs into your wrist would have lasted at all, much less for several centuries, as Brazil nut pommels did. The same is true for other types of pommels that dig into the wrist. If historical warriors were comfortable using swords with these pommels in war, then something must need adjusting or fine tuning with the way you are holding the sword, or the way that you are striking with it. Before you sell, spend some time altering the way you hold and use the sword.

I agree, and I never really understood how so much people have problems with these pommels. I have no problem handling brazil nut, tea cosy and all those angular viking pommels. You just have to let them slip by your wrist in a swing...

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Thoughts on the Albion Knud?
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: