Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Darksword Armoury sword review inquiry. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Brandon B

PostPosted: Thu 24 Oct, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Darksword Armoury sword review inquiry.         Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a review on a sword from Darksword armoury. It's the 15th century gothic sword. Type xviiic I know there are mixed feelings on their company, but I would love to do an official review for this website to be featured on the myArmoury review page. Let me know if anyone has any specifics they would like to hear about with this sword. I have owned del tins, albinos, mrl's, gen 2's, hanwei's, etc. to name a few so feel quite qualified for writing an official review. I also did an article for the antique arms and armour show a few years back so I have a feel for what Chad and Nathan are looking for to some degree.

Thanks, Brandon

Attachment: 172.18 KB
[ Download ]

May God grant us the wisdom to discover the right, the strength to choose it, and the will to make it endure. - First Knight
Mike Jia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 24 Oct, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd love to see a review on one of their products.
Brandt Giese

PostPosted: Thu 24 Oct, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi gotta say not really as I owned one once and did not mind taking a big hit on selling it. That's just me though and I might be in the minority here.
Tyler Keich

PostPosted: Fri 25 Oct, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't plan on purchasing any other swords for a while, but i wouldn't mind reading one. Granted, the company seems to have gained a stigma with past and recent events, they to me at least appear to be trying to take their company and product in a new and better direction. Just hit some snags along the way, and appeared to be willing to fix those with the community.

Just my two cents.
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Fri 25 Oct, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you would be willing to write one and submit it for publication on the website that would be great.
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Brandon B

PostPosted: Fri 25 Oct, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: More input         Reply with quote

So far it looks like the majority want a review. Keep the comments coming as I want anyone's opinion. I also welcome any opinions from myArmoury moderators, I will need their permission before an official review is posted.
May God grant us the wisdom to discover the right, the strength to choose it, and the will to make it endure. - First Knight
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 25 Oct, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You should PM one of the moderators if you want to do an official myArmoury review. They require a certain structure. Once you have finished, it will wait in line for an undetermined time to get published in the Reviews section.

However, if you want to do an unofficial review, just go ahead and write it and post it in the Historical Arms Talk Forum.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Fri 25 Oct, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Sword review input         Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I am mainly trying to get a feel first on wether the community here is interested on hearing a review on this sword. If the general consensus requests one, I will be sure to contact the administrator and begin the steps necessary for submission.
Chad Hanson

PostPosted: Fri 25 Oct, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I say- the more reviews, the better! I think as long as it's not fantasy swords or 'tactical' swords or something along those lines, the reviews belong here. I don't think the company should matter. As long as the review is an honest review of a European weapon with historical styling, I want to see it.
Member of the Wisconsin Historical Fencing Association
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 25 Oct, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Please, people, stop giving advice on how to submit "official" reviews to myArmoury. Your advice is well intended, but wrong.

Please do not contact moderators. Please do not send private messages. Mods are for forum activity. That has nothing to do with our publishing efforts.

We have an entire Contributor Center with info on how to contribute to myArmoury.com.

Creating a review for publishing is more comprehensive than simply writing some random words, emailing it, and waiting for it to be "published". That might be true for lesser sites, but it isn't true for this site. We have an established process that we use.

To Brandon B: the community does not decide which things get published on myArmoury.com. The publishers decide this based on a whole slew of criteria. This process is known colloquially as "being professional".

The community, as a whole, is going to have the response just mentioned right above: the more things published the better. Knowing this serves no purpose. Simply submit your concept and await a response. This topic serves no purpose for that end goal.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Brandt Giese

PostPosted: Fri 25 Oct, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am curious as to all the swords you have owned why you feel compelled to review a Darksword?
Brandon B

PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Interesting         Reply with quote

I would go through the steps necessary using the contribution center in order to submit a "professional" review. Having been through this process in the past I am well aware of the fact that a review would consist of more than just a few "random words". It seems the topic of Darksword Armoury has received a lot of controversy. I merely don't want to begin the process of going through the contribution center to prepare a professional review until I've seen enough responses to merit even those efforts.

So while your responses may have no value to Nathan, I appreciate the input none the less. I have read up on how to take pictures of swords, handled many of albinos Museum line swords, next generation swords, and squire line swords as well as certified antiques. I have owned the albion squire, knightly as well as other brands most people hold in high regard on this site. Once I renderd a 3d model of an albion sword with every detail so as to help me better understand proper proportions of a decent sword. My review would be unbias and fair to both the pros and cons of any sword of worth.

So keep those comments coming and if I receive enough feedback I may contact the contribution center. If there are too harsh of feelings towards Darksword Armoury and I for some reason still feel compelled to write a review, I will write it on one of those "lesser" websites.

Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting         Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
I I have read up on how to take pictures of swords, handled many of albinos Museum line swords, next generation swords, and squire line swords as well as certified antiques. I have owned the Albion squire, knightly as well as other brands most people hold in high regard on this site.

Okay all of that said, If you are willing to do it I say go for it. If this is just a "hey, before I take the time and energy to write this thing. would myArmoury members even be interested in reading it" question, then yes I would.
I agree that on this site there are some " harsh feelings" toward Darksword, and for good reason. I myself tend to agree with the sentiment towards them. I would, however, find it very interesting to read an objective review written by someone with your experience. I think that might be a very good thing and hope you decide to do it.

..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I say just do it.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stop trying to turn a tree into a forest. Reviews on any product, regardless of the quality, have merit. Right now you're wasting time you could be spending on the actual reviewing process.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm interested in hearing a review, but it would not matter to me if the review was an unofficial thread here in the forum - in fact i think it would be better because you could get a serious Q&A after the post.

I'm getting a feeling of a certain push coming from this manufacturer to validate something - and their product is the only way of judging what they are producing. although i may not personally like the way they are going about it.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Thanks everyone         Reply with quote

I am grateful for the input both good and bad. I agree with Patrick and won't post anything further until I decide wether or not its worth spending time on a review. Also thanks to Brandt I welcome any facts about their products and will take that into consideration as I have no pressure from the manufacture to any degree. Keep up the good work everyone.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you do a review on this sword, it would be illuminating if you included distal taper measurements ie. blade thicknesses. I believe this model comes both blunt and sharp, based on the same blade, so its blade geometry should be interesting.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Darksword Armoury sword review inquiry.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic