Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Royal Armouries "Extraordinary Editions" publication of I.33 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Sun 13 Oct, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject: Royal Armouries "Extraordinary Editions" publicati         Reply with quote

~$1200 for a single book is a little too rich for my blood, but you can't deny they've done a drool-worthy job with it:

http://illuminatedfightbook.co.uk

It's an exacting facsimile from a new digital scan and restoration, and "each copy of I.33 will be fully leather bound by hand in a superior weight Nigerian goat skin, featuring raised bands over wood composite boards." Comes with a translated companion volume and packaged in a solander box.

Or for a mere ~$2400 you can get the Exemplary edition, "bound in a cover of folded veined vellum over quarter sawn oak boards. The boards have been sourced from 300 year old oak that has never been oiled or varnished. ...presented together in a bespoke hand made leather folder which is kept closed with an oak peg." Who can resist such a fantastic deal? Laughing Out Loud

Well, I'll never own it, but it sure does look nice.

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science." - Albert Einstein
________
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Sun 13 Oct, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Nigerian goat skin

???

I don't wish to seem churlish but for that price I'd want Spanish or, stop me for being picky, English goat skin! Don't want to deny the chance for Nigerian goat traders to make a living either but ...
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Sun 13 Oct, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I notice they talk a lot about the binding but not much about the internals. If it is just a nice cover on a printed scan of I.33, I can't begin to understand the value. After all, I can get a copy of I.33, hard cover for less than $100. For $1200 I expect printing on parchment, not paper. For $2400 I want hand transcription on parchment with historically accurate and traditionally crafted methods and materials.
'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Christine Munro

PostPosted: Sun 13 Oct, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Griffin wrote:
I don't wish to seem churlish but for that price I'd want Spanish or, stop me for being picky, English goat skin! Don't want to deny the chance for Nigerian goat traders to make a living either but ...

From my albeit rather limited understanding, it seems to be quite highly regarded amongst book binders: it often seems to be a selling point anyway. It'd be nice to be that rich!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Royal Armouries "Extraordinary Editions" publication of I.33
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic