What you can accomplish with dedication
Hello everyone, just want to inspire any DIY'ers and members who are thinking about making their own blades. I am by no means a master craftsman like the guys you see on tv selling their wares...after 4 days in the workshop, and ALOT of blood sweat, tears, and Grey powder... this is what i walked out with...

1095 High Carbon steel
3/16ths" thickness
Blade width 2 inches at shoulder
Blade Length 11 inches
Grip length 4.5 inches
Grip material, Rust colored Leather wrapped over a wood core
Hilt is ground from mild steel and has been permanently hot peened to the tang for durability and historical accuracy. blade is fully sharpened and heat treated to a spring temper. The geometry is Hexagonal cross section terminating into diamond cross section at the end of the fullers.

So anyone out there who feels like "its too hard" or "this is beyond my skills" No its not! you can do anything you put your mind to! All you need is the will to act. Thanks for reading.

Way to go ! Nifty piece, simple lines, and very very nice ! And excellent thoughts
regarding dedication and hard-work !

B-)
Oh, yes, you can definitely surprise yourself! If you're worried about messing something up, do some practice on cheap scrap metal first, just to figure out your tools and techniques. But with some jobs, it can be faster to just get into it than to sit around trying to figure out a better or faster way to do it!

Looks good to me, by the way! I especially like the guard, and it gets me thinking...

Matthew
I love DIY projects where you attempt something that was "beyond your reach". You produced a very nice product in your first attempt! :)

Now, has the bug bitten you? Are you feverishly planning your next blade that will be "better than the last"? Fair warning, it's a slippery slope! ;)
Scott Hrouda wrote:
I love DIY projects where you attempt something that was "beyond your reach". You produced a very nice product in your first attempt! :)

Now, has the bug bitten you? Are you feverishly planning your next blade that will be "better than the last"? Fair warning, it's a slippery slope! ;)

not my first, ive made quite a few, but not of this style...i was trying to reach beyond my own level, and i achieved it. I'm actually planning on a matching tripple fuller sword
Mercer L. Blaire wrote:
not my first, ive made quite a few, but not of this style...i was trying to reach beyond my own level, and i achieved it. I'm actually planning on a matching tripple fuller sword

Well done. Have fun, make (more) cool stuff, and remember to share with us!
takes a lot of work to move metal, weather your shaping it by hammer or just stock removal. got to have a lot of patients too. most of my DIY project take me 6 months or more to complete because I'm always trying to push myself to make it better than the last one.

a great bit of work, hope to see more of it.
Daniel Wallace wrote:
takes a lot of work to move metal, weather your shaping it by hammer or just stock removal. got to have a lot of patients too. most of my DIY project take me 6 months or more to complete because I'm always trying to push myself to make it better than the last one.

a great bit of work, hope to see more of it.

thats how ive been, but each new one i make takes me less time and is better quality as i learn various tricks and techniques to be more efficient. having proper tools helps, but is no substitute for good old fashioned know how and determination.
That looks very nice. Just in time for the next Hobbit movie!
im making a hobbit sword for a friends christmas present XD its a 19 inch leaf blade, not wide like a gladius, but thin and elegant. Very elvish. waiting to get it back from heat treat
Nice, looks like a vicious little thruster.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: