Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Where can I get a longsword rubber blunt? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Steven Janus

PostPosted: Tue 10 Sep, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Where can I get a longsword rubber blunt?         Reply with quote

I recently bought a Czech made longsword for armored combat from www.outfit4events.com and while I love the sword, I knew that it would not make my group's requirements without putting on a trusting tip since it is less than one inch wide two inches from the tip. I belong to Adrian empire. Now in the past I have had a one inch stainless steel washer welded onto another longsword with similar proportions to make it legal. However I have been thinking. Welding on a tip can damage temper and having flat washer could break off in time with winding and deflecting in combat. I was 'told' no rubber blunt was allowed but when I pulled up the rules for thrusting tips in the manual this is all it says.

Quote:
Thrusting tips shall consist of no less than a one-and-one-half inch (1.5") sphere, or one inch (1") flat surface, fixed to the end of the shaft or blade (a pipe cap on the end of a spear is also acceptable)

I see no where that it specifies what the material is. Now I know in Rapier it is easy to get rubber arrow blunts in 5/16 and 11/32 that fit over most rapier blades but I cannot find anything in 1/2 inch diameter! Is there a place that sells arrow like blunts for long swords that would end with a flat surface one inch in diameter? Thanks again in advance..

Newbie Sword collector
Tom King

PostPosted: Tue 10 Sep, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey mate, somewhere else in the armored combat rulebook it mandates that all legal striking surfaces have to be made of metal. I had the same problem with my HT longsword and only use informally because of it. The rig you currently have with the steel disk will work fine
Steven Janus

PostPosted: Tue 10 Sep, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom King wrote:
Hey mate, somewhere else in the armored combat rulebook it mandates that all legal striking surfaces have to be made of metal. I had the same problem with my HT longsword and only use informally because of it. The rig you currently have with the steel disk will work fine

Aw, should of known. Was looking all over for it, darn. Hope to see you at the next event.

Quote:
Other Single-Handed Weapons
a. Although many kinds of weapons may be purchased and suitable for use in combat, homemade weapons are still allowed.
b. The striking surfaces of all weapons must be metal.

It is there but under the section of other single handed weapons, same section the legal thrusting tip information is under.

Newbie Sword collector
Jimi Edmonds

PostPosted: Fri 20 Sep, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Failing the rules that you guys are under, a rubber stopper that goes on a chair leg works well, they seem to come in a range of sizes. We get them in packs of 4 from the hardwear store, I use a medium sized one for my (Albion) Liechtenauer and the others use the size down for thier Hanweis plus you can if you wanted fit a washer within it.
They last a while and are handy to protect the tip if you are practicing on concrete should you acceidently hit it..

Anyway hope this helps.
Steven Janus

PostPosted: Mon 23 Sep, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jimi Edmonds wrote:
Failing the rules that you guys are under, a rubber stopper that goes on a chair leg works well, they seem to come in a range of sizes. We get them in packs of 4 from the hardwear store, I use a medium sized one for my (Albion) Liechtenauer and the others use the size down for thier Hanweis plus you can if you wanted fit a washer within it.
They last a while and are handy to protect the tip if you are practicing on concrete should you acceidently hit it..

Anyway hope this helps.

I actually thought of that, believe me. It has crossed me mind to use a rubber chair stopper on top of a 50 cal casing Big Grin, similar to how we blunt our rapiers in our group. We do not practice on concrete. The idea is that a circular thrusting cap displaces the force there by lessening the chance of breaking bones. I ended up paying a local guy to carefully weld a stainless steel washer on today anyway. I've used him before and he is always careful to use a lower heat setting to preserve temper.

Newbie Sword collector
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 27 Sep, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've started making thrusting tips by folding over a couple of pieces of leather and taping them on. Finding rubber tips that fit on various steel longswords just wasn't worth it when taped leather does the job just as nicely.
-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Where can I get a longsword rubber blunt?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic