Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion Scabbards Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Joel Whitmore

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 08 Oct, 2003 3:40 am    Post subject: Jason, from the looks of the pics...         Reply with quote

...the campaign scabbards are not lined inside. What kind of wood are you guys using? I have one of Howy's early scabbards he made for me when I ordered my DT2132 from them. Unfortunately, my brother was not paying attention when sheathing the sword and pushed the felt lining down into the scabbard Cry The scabbard is useless now, but the intergal belt fittings are great and I plan to keep them so I can add them to a scabbard I am making. I love experimenting with this stuff. Using a caliper I measured the thickness of the blade from cross to tip. I am planning to make an angles template to put over the poplar slats so I can run my Dremmil router over it and get the distal taper iside the scabbard. I don't have a set of good wood chisles and I don't have the skills yet to do this by hand. I'll let you guys know how this Dremmil idea works in practice. Albion makes wonderful scabbards and your metal working is second to none. Many people don't realize how much a nice scabbard adds to a nice sword aestecially, not to mention functionaly. One idea I got from HOwy a few years back was the addition of a collar to a scabbard to make the integral 12th century belt fittings. I did this myself to my custom Cashen scabbard. It works fine though I think I used leather that was a bit too thick and therefore makes the suspension look somewhat clunky. But it works :-)

Attachment: 33.81 KB
Andurilcsabbard.jpg

Brian M

PostPosted: Wed 08 Oct, 2003 10:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have you tried fishing the felt out with a coat hangar or something? I'm sure there is some fix you could do yourself to make it useable again.
There's something I hadn't thought of -- ordering a plain scabbard and making a DIY suspension for it. Hmm. I've never worked with leather before, so I would have to learn and practice a lot. It could be an interesting project.
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Wed 08 Oct, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Scabbard woes         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
Have you tried fishing the felt out with a coat hangar or something? I'm sure there is some fix you could do yourself to make it useable again.
There's something I hadn't thought of -- ordering a plain scabbard and making a DIY suspension for it. Hmm. I've never worked with leather before, so I would have to learn and practice a lot. It could be an interesting project.

Yeah Brian, I tried the coathanger and everything else I coudl think of to no avail. My brother really gorillaed it when he rammed it back in. I talked to Howy about this, and he said there is not much I could do about it. The elkskin belt, which happens to fit my wide waist, is still in perfect condition and I plan to use it again.
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Wed 08 Oct, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Eric,

Would you guys be interested in doing a really nice custom scabbard for the Cashen XVIa I am getting in the 2nd half of next year? Kevin's scabbards are really nice and I will keep it for sure, but I'm also after something historically accurate. I'm interested in seeing a picture of the Brescia (sp?) scabbard assembly you talk about on the albion website. How exactly does the hook and latch getup work? Would it be possible to get a pic?

Thanks for your time. Happy
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 09 Oct, 2003 1:49 am    Post subject: Sure         Reply with quote

Hej Taylor!

Sure we can do a scabbard for your Cashen sword. Kevin lives just across the lake from us...okay it just happens to be Lake Michigan, but he lives close enough to get it in a few days. Kevin I. is working on a similar suspension to what the Brescia will for one of Harlan Hastings PJ swords (yes Harlan, you do own two PJ swords); so when he is done, we can send you a pic.

Kevin has a lot of orders on his plate so my suggestion is to contact Mike and schedule a custom scabbard slot. That way you will have the slot scheduled for when you sword is finished.

Best,

Eric

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
J. Sharp

PostPosted: Sat 11 Oct, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Jason, from the looks of the pics...         Reply with quote

Joel Whitmore wrote:
..."my brother was not paying attention when sheathing the sword and pushed the felt lining down into the scabbard Cry The scabbard is useless now..."

Joel,

If you consider the scabbard ruined, there is nothing to lose. How about carefully removing the leather cover, then splitting the wooden core along the edges, straighten and re-glue lining, glue up the wooden halves and restitch the cover? Sounds like an awful lot of work, but... ?

It would make an interesting project to pursue and report back to us. I think it would be fascinating.

John

John T. Sharp
Visit Sharp Woodworks
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sat 11 Oct, 2003 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Jason, from the looks of the pics...         Reply with quote

J. Sharp wrote:
Joel Whitmore wrote:
..."my brother was not paying attention when sheathing the sword and pushed the felt lining down into the scabbard Cry The scabbard is useless now..."

Joel,

If you consider the scabbard ruined, there is nothing to lose. How about carefully removing the leather cover, then splitting the wooden core along the edges, straighten and re-glue lining, glue up the wooden halves and restitch the cover? Sounds like an awful lot of work, but... ?

It would make an interesting project to pursue and report back to us. I think it would be fascinating.

John

Haven't thought about that John. I think I am gonna try it. While I have it taken down I woudl probably reprofile the entire scabbard too. I'll let ya knwo hwo it turns out.
Markus Haider

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 19 Oct, 2003 1:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since the first Museum Line swords are getting finished, will we get a chance to have some pictures of the scabbards for them too? Especially the Bresica one interests me.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion Scabbards
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: