My first proper sword
I asked some questions on this forum before, but I've never contributed anything, so now that my first sword is in my hands, I thought I'd share it with you.

I wanted a viking sword, without too much decoration and a rough look/finish (i also wanted the Lord of the Rings old dwarven weapon look). So I chose Petersen type C, and picked a sword from the book, Swords of the Viking Age. I traced it in Adobe Illustrator and scaled it up. This way I could get some pretty accurate measurements of it.

I had it made by a local smith. I asked for a rough finish, so that you can see some pattern in the blade. The guard and pommel are blackened. The grip is wood, thread and leather. The edges were heat treated differently, the pattern is still visible on the blade, similar to katanas.

Some stats:
-blade length: 78.6 cm
-blade width: 6.2 cm
-grip length: 9.5 cm
-weight: 1630 g
-balance: 15 cm

As you can see it's quite heavy and has a very wide blade, and it handles accordingly. Once you start swinging it, it's hard to stop it, but it cleaves through everything. I managed to cut a 30 cm diameter, 40 cm tall wooden log in half with 2 blows.
Hope you like it too! :)

P.S.: For the photography enthusiasts: I used a Nikon D90 with a Nikon f/1.8 35 mm lens.

Attachment: 209.95 KB
DSC_0026.jpg

Attachment: 172.33 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 180.07 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 155.87 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 209.29 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 131.92 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 137.14 KB
[ Download ]
Very nice looking Viking sword. Thank you for sharing.
Re: My first proper sword
Levente M. wrote:
I asked some questions on this forum before, but I've never contributed anything, so now that my first sword is in my hands, I thought I'd share it with you.

I wanted a viking sword, without too much decoration and a rough look/finish (i also wanted the Lord of the Rings old dwarven weapon look). So I chose Petersen type C, and picked a sword from the book, Swords of the Viking Age. I traced it in Adobe Illustrator and scaled it up. This way I could get some pretty accurate measurements of it.

I had it made by a local smith. I asked for a rough finish, so that you can see some pattern in the blade. The guard and pommel are blackened. The grip is wood, thread and leather. The edges were heat treated differently, the pattern is still visible on the blade, similar to katanas.

Some stats:
-blade length: 78.6 cm
-blade width: 6.2 cm
-grip length: 9.5 cm
-weight: 1630 g
-balance: 15 cm

As you can see it's quite heavy and has a very wide blade, and it handles accordingly. Once you start swinging it, it's hard to stop it, but it cleaves through everything. I managed to cut a 30 cm diameter, 40 cm tall wooden log in half with 2 blows.
Hope you like it too! :)

P.S.: For the photography enthusiasts: I used a Nikon D90 with a Nikon f/1.8 35 mm lens.

Damn, almost 4 pounds with a point of balance 5 inches from the guard, I bet if you are to do a full force swing at a man wearing a mail shirt you would break every bone in his torso. O.o
Congratulations on your new sword! May it be the beginning of a long and happy collecting hobby!
Very neat sword and your photos were quite nice as well.
Thanks for posting. Really like the hilt.
Very nice sword and very nice pics, but I'm more a Leica man. :p
I really like the simple lines, and the photography compliments those
elements too ! Nicely accomplished, from sword to pictures ! B-)
Really like the style. Almost looks like a charcoal drawing.
Flat out beautiful! The simple lines and utilitarian looks make for a piece to be wielded with much pride. Now you MUST get a nice custom scabbard! Fantastic! The maker is to be commended....highly. :D ............McM
Thanks everyone! :)
I'm making a scabbard for it, but I'm afraid it will take forever. :D
My first proper sword
Levente,
When the scabbard is finished do show its photo alongside that sword of yours.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: