Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > If you had to part with all your collection but one? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Sat 31 Aug, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: If you had to part with all your collection but one?         Reply with quote

Hello
I`am sure this topic has been touched on, a few times.But this is a new day, and collections and favorites change.
Right now, I`m down to one sword,my Albion Soveriegn,which is the mainstay of my collecting.I have a couple of practical reasons for this choice, and one silly one. First, I have a early Brian Kunz scabbard,for this one and second, it more or less goes with my armor/kit. And the silly... I read fantasy novels or play RPGs late into the night,so I sometimes need a sword in my dreams,and this one allways comes to hand. Yeah I know...i`am messed up:-) Anyhow,to the topic.
If you had to get rid of, all your swords for some reason,but the one,which one would you keep?And for what reason?

Attachment: 89.57 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 96.61 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 102.61 KB
[ Download ]
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 31 Aug, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I did this a few years ago when Andrew Walpole put his Dendra Panoply up for sale. I had to sell my entire collection to pay for it so I have to start all over again. I'm a lot more choosy these days, adding one piece every year or so. This is my latest commission.
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=28063

If I had to get rid of my collection again I'd probably sell my kids first Wink
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 31 Aug, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hopefully I'll never face that decision, but if I did this would be the lone survivor.

If the right piece came along I'd probably sell off everything else to obtain it, but this one goes only if someone needs a kidney.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sun 01 Sep, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've actually thought I'd will this cremated with me when I kicked the bucket; and the blade, if
it survived ( and I'm not sure it would ), mounted on a plaque along with some simple words;
then passed on to my survivors ...

The Black Saber by Paolo Abrera
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sun 01 Sep, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So Many

I think I have typically gone with an A&A Black Prince as the one I will never part with but it has been more than a decade of changes in preferences. It is still the one I think of but it is not by my bedside or at my desk, indeed it is in a closet at the moment.

With a wall and racks full of 18th and 19th century swords, it is a real quandry but one of the spadroons in particular has somewhat the same effect the A&A Black Prince once called. Although fairly plain but hard to replace, this one spadroon (out of more than a dozen spadroons here) has more life in the hand than any others. Super lithe and sharp.

With one remaining sword only. This blackie would be it. More or less of the 1788 genre. A best buy.

That's honestly a hard stretch for me, with a wall of eagle pommels. Two or three of them as cherished but if reducing, those would yield the most as well.

Cheers

GC

Last edited by Glen A Cleeton on Sun 01 Sep, 2013 6:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Sun 01 Sep, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All the production stuff I could just repurchase later if I wanted to, even the ones I've customized myself (I could just do it again! it's fun!), but it would be a really painful choice between my three seaxes - they're all damn fine custom work, each in a very different style. I think probably Dauðrnagl would win out in the end, but only after some rather lengthy angsting.

(Naturally, I would also keep the axe. That's not cheating, it's part of the kit! Razz)

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 01 Sep, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That would be a tough one as I have a pretty extensive medieval collection with production and customs.

I would pick this fantasy Viking sword I designed with the pommel and guard done in bronze by Jeffrey Robinson and the blade and grip done by Fable Blades:

Lloyd Winter

PostPosted: Sun 01 Sep, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For me that's a no brainer.
My Jim Hrisoulas/Greig Fors German Longsword (far right).

I have others that are more historically accurate, and arguably nicer, but this is MY sword
It could use a new handle but other than that after almost 30 years it's still going strong.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 01 Sep, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I could take my collection down to 10 without much regret, but after that, it gets much harder. If I kept only one, it would be the Arms and Armor Walloon, It's not the prettiest one, though it is very handsome. It's biggest virtue is that it is a great all-around sword that could go against just about anything non-ballistic. It feels wonderful in the hand, and offers that hand better protection than any other hilt. And it's got a thumb ring!

Here's a Thread about this sword.

Attachment: 98.56 KB
W10s.jpg

Attachment: 97.23 KB
W12s.jpg
brassy look is a trick of the light

Attachment: 97.54 KB
W9s.jpg

Norman McCormick

PostPosted: Sun 01 Sep, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,
Not an easy choice for some I would imagine, for me it would have to be my Austrian 1850 pattern hilt mounted with an 18thC Ottoman trophy blade. The marrying of older trophy blades with current pattern hilts was accepted practice in the Austro-Hungarian Army the blades being passed down from generation to generation.
Regards,
Norman.
Christine Munro

PostPosted: Sun 01 Sep, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It'd probably be my Albion Chevalier. Though there are arguably "better" swords in my collection, that's the one that just feels "right" in my hand, and I love its slightly flamboyant appearance. I'd hate to part with the others, but I think I'd especially hate to part with that one.

Edward Lee

PostPosted: Sun 01 Sep, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I too sold many of my collections, these days cash is probably one of the best thing to have. I kept my Del Tin Visconti sword, it's not the best out there but i had it for a very long time. Yet I don't even have a picture of it.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 01 Sep, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Almost thre now         Reply with quote

Only have an A&A Nordland Axe that I use as a camp ax so not sure if it counts as collection, a breast and back, and an Albion Ringeck. Otherwise sold all the swords off and have been pouring all to much money into everything related to bicycles. Hopefully I have that under control soon and will slightly expand the collection. At the end of the day both are just things and I've learned not to get to broken up about changing them out.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
William M

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 02 Sep, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tough one!! I have many swords that I would find very difficult to part with, mostly because they are the first of that type of sword. So my first nihonto, my first antique sabre etc...

But I think ill have to base my decision on what I pick up and handle the most, which would be my Neil Burridge Ewart Park Sword. Additionally I put a massive amount of work into this sword so I suppose that also pulls at the ol heart strings.

Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Mon 02 Sep, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Considering that most of my collection are cheap Hanwei and Windlass, I can replace many of them with the possible exception of discontinued models. True, some have been customized and I'd be sorry to see them go, but as per the OP...

With that aspect in mind, I would have to go with my German Artillery Saber, an actual antique. I can't say I am extremely attached to it as such, but it is an actual piece of history, be it recent history, and it cannot be so easily replaced with an order from Kult of Athena or a MRL Deal of the Day.

"Tears are for the craven, prayers are for the clown.
Halters for the silly neck that cannot keep a crown.
As my loss is grievous, so my hope is small.
For Iron, Cold Iron, must be master of men all..."
-Cold Iron, Rudyard Kipling
Iain Norman

PostPosted: Mon 02 Sep, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For me it would be hard to part with a number of the antiques, however this one would have to be the choice at the end of the day.

Attachment: 66.45 KB
museum-001.png

Attachment: 220.69 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 222.17 KB
[ Download ]
Ben Coomer

PostPosted: Mon 02 Sep, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Agincourt by far. I feel a little lost actually without it.

My wife, however, can't give an answer between her Constable or her Kwan Tao.

And I am going to assume bows are left out? Because that'd make things a little harder.
David Wilson

PostPosted: Tue 03 Sep, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This, of course, is somewhat difficult -- 4 or 5 swords would be easier.
But if I were pressed to it, this would be the one. A sword made to my specifications, my first truly custom-made sword, made for me by one of the best swordsmiths in the world, Vince Evans. An incredible work of art and a joy to handle, with sentimental relevance as well. It just doesn't get much better than this.

Attachment: 12.74 KB
S Hilt.jpg

Attachment: 14.96 KB
S Hilt 2.jpg

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Thu 05 Sep, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I only have 3....... the only one I'd keep I likely don't own yet. My small collection is going to grow, not shrink
Sean O Stevens

PostPosted: Thu 05 Sep, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eash... really tough question. Worried

I've sold a lot of swords recently, including some of my favorites. Of the ones I have left, if I could only keep one...

...it might have to be my Arms and Armor Writhen Rapier.

http://armor.com/rapier151.html

I would pick this one mostly because fencing is the only sword fighting style I have any actual training in... so it makes sense to keep that weapon.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > If you had to part with all your collection but one?
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: