Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion XVa's - Ringeck, Fiore, Talhoffer Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dan K. F.

PostPosted: Wed 21 Aug, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Albion XVa's - Ringeck, Fiore, Talhoffer         Reply with quote

I was doing some window shopping on Albion's website again and noticed these three swords appear to be very similar (if not identical), the only differences being in the hilt design. The lengths and weights only differ by fractions of an inch/ounce. They're even priced identically. I know for some of their swords Albion uses the same basic blade and just makes changes to the hilt but does this make any significant difference other than in aesthetics? I saw a review of the Mercenary and Constable here which stated that they handle slightly differently - does this trio also differ in handling characteristics?

I'd also like to solicit some opinions on preferences between the three. Given a choice which would you take and why?
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 21 Aug, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The hilt can make a difference in handling, both in how you grip the sword and in how the sword feels. Subtle differences in mass distribution can have a bigger influence than it might seem on paper. The grip shape would make a difference too. Between the 3 swords you asked about I would choose the Fiore with a 1/2 wire grip. I like the downturned guard alot, the pommel would be comfortable (I had a Crecy and LOVED the feel of the pommel, this one is similar), the waisted grip would be comfortable, and the wire just looks cool. Let us know which one you choose!
Jimi Edmonds

PostPosted: Wed 21 Aug, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I quite like the Fiore within that range of XVa's, to me it speaks louder than the other two.
The Ringeck I am trying to like it, though just something about the pommel gets to me! , I have an Albion Liechtenaur and love it, maybe if it had the same pommel as this...by the pics I just can't tell..
The Tal Hoffer, well I don't like the look..with a wasted grip it looks nicer..

With the Fiore, I didn't realise that the pommel is quite wide, as the pics you usauly see don't show it, these pics below are from the Albion Europe site, they give a better look at the swords..also I am keen on the Sempach..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/albioneurope/sets/72157627544523580/ Fiore

http://www.flickr.com/photos/albioneurope/sets/72157627420373983/ Ringeck

http://www.flickr.com/photos/albioneurope/sets/72157627544911158/ Tal Hoffer
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Thu 22 Aug, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
\ Between the 3 swords you asked about I would choose the Fiore with a 1/2 wire grip. I like the downturned guard alot, the pommel would be comfortable, the waisted grip would be comfortable, and the wire just looks cool. Let us know which one you choose!

That's exactly the sword I bought! With a red grip. To quote Ferris Bueller "It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up." Cool

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 22 Aug, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd pick the Fiore for the aesthetics alone, and the half wire grip adds to the sex appeal.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Ben Coomer

PostPosted: Thu 22 Aug, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, my choice of the Agincourt isn't in your XVa list, but I'd go with the Fiore without much complaint.

Gotta love wheel pommels.
Dan K. F.

PostPosted: Thu 22 Aug, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ben Coomer wrote:
Well, my choice of the Agincourt isn't in your XVa list, but I'd go with the Fiore without much complaint.

Gotta love wheel pommels.

I'm actually not looking to place an order anytime soon - I'm just soliciting opinions while I fine-tune my wishlist. I already have a rapier on order with A&A so I probably should be holding off on dropping significant sums of money on another sword (unfortunately other priorities such as food and keeping a roof over my head take precedence). If Albion had any kind of sale or if one of these pops up somewhere ready-to-ship though that would severely test my resolve Wink .

The reason I was asking about these three specifically is due to their similarities. Looking at the Agincourt again though, the blade looks similar enough that I wonder if it's yet another hilt variation of the same blade.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 22 Aug, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan K. F. wrote:
The reason I was asking about these three specifically is due to their similarities. Looking at the Agincourt again though, the blade looks similar enough that I wonder if it's yet another hilt variation of the same blade.

The Agincourt, Ringeck, Tallhoffer and Fiore all share the same blade.

Dan K. F.

PostPosted: Thu 22 Aug, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Dan K. F. wrote:

Ah okay, thanks Patrick. I'm not sure how I didn't notice that originally. I guess I'm asking about four swords now - the original three plus the Agincourt Big Grin .
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 23 Aug, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan K. F. wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:
Dan K. F. wrote:

Ah okay, thanks Patrick. I'm not sure how I didn't notice that originally. I guess I'm asking about four swords now - the original three plus the Agincourt Big Grin .

The Agincourt would be my second choice of the four, I really like the guard.

Ben Coomer

PostPosted: Fri 23 Aug, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Agincourt is a really nice sword. It fast, agile, easy to control, ridiculously good at thrusting, and a surprisingly good cutter. But I doubt all of your choices wouldn't be the same.

The reason I got the Agincourt was that first I really liked the aesthetics. The tapering curved cross is really graceful and the overall proportions are really nice. Second the wheel pommel really supports how I like to wield longswords, with the round pommel being like a bearing as I make strikes. As well, I'm just not a big fan of waisted grips. Nothing wrong with them, but I think they look and feel a bit awkward. Finally, it does allow a bit of customization if you want, by adding a coin or sigil to the recess of the pommel. I'm planning brass design to add shortly, which will really make it "my sword."

All personal opinion, but with such good swords its probably going to come down to persanl preference anyway.
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Sun 29 Sep, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

The Agincourt would be my second choice of the four, I really like the guard.

I'm late to the party, but I agree with Patrick and Ben...the cross guard on the Agincourt is simply gorgeous! For the longest time I didn't care for curved guards, and I still don't like the sharply curved ones, but the subtle curve and incredible lines of the Agincourt's cross alone are enough to sorely tempt me to buy one.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 30 Sep, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the Ringeck (which I have) and the Fiore the best! Partially this is because in my interval of dabbling with an organized WMA group I used wasters with a scent stopper pommel and have since developed a preference for the feel of them in hand (although round pommels can make edge alignment easier). Part of it is because I just like the look of those two. Of the Albion long-swords I've found these to be the most *ideally* longsword-ish for me. They are sized and weighted such that I can really comfortably use them in a variety of ways and still feel like the weapon has some authority to it.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Chad Hanson

PostPosted: Mon 30 Sep, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My favorites are the Talhoffer and the Ringeck- I tend to prefer my pommels as either scent-stopper or spherical. Personally I find that a wheel pommel slows me down a little if I'm doing actions that involve rotating the sword for short-edge cuts.

I've handled all four swords, including multiple copies of some versions (Agincourt and Talhoffer) and I'd say they're more similar than they are different, so to speak. I think, for instance, you'll find as much difference between two Talhoffers as you will between a Talhoffer and a Ringeck. (Despite the different specs, they really are quite similar) The biggest difference will be in the feel of the grips and pommels. My advice would be to get a chance to handle a decent sword with a wheel pommel and see what you think of it.

Member of the Wisconsin Historical Fencing Association

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion XVa's - Ringeck, Fiore, Talhoffer
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic