Which Albion swords work well with gothic armor?
Which of Albion's swords would work well for a mid to late century German knight in a gothic kit? Would a knight wear a side sword and have a long sword? Thanks in advance!
I'd vote for the Munich with the Gothic hilt option. I used to own one, so I'm biased. :)
I'd also say the Munich and the Regent and Earl.
Well my first choice of longsword would be the Munich, and for a single hander I'd pick the Burgundian.
Here is a drawing by Patrick Dallanegra of an Albion Regent. (not sure if that is truly Gothic armor) You can find more pictures like this over at Albion Europe.

Other swords good for Gothic armor - the Kingmaker, the Burgundian,the Lancaster, the Poitiers. Would the XVII's, the Sempach and the Landgraf be too early in their time spectrums?

Attachment: 93.79 KB
dwg_Albion regents.jpg
by Patrick Dallanegra
Armor in the German Gothic style became fashionable after and seems to have largely replaced the Kastenbrust style. We see Gothic armor begin to show up in funeral effigies and manuscript art tenuously dated to around 1450, but the Gothic style probably didn't hit it's full stride until after 1460. So, I think you're looking for sword patterns that are firmly in the second half of the fifteenth century. From contemporary artwork, it appears that longswords were much more popular with the central European knightly class than single handers.
To me, the Munich and the Earl are dead on, and would both look awesome paired with a German Gothic harness. The Regent, the Viceroy, and the Talhoffer would also be really good choices.
One really nice feature of the Albion Europe website is that it provides likely timelines for each sword indicating when it would have seen service. It might provide a nice quick reference for you.

http://www.albion-europe.com/swords/swords-by...ieval.aspx
The Maximillian seems to be the best choice however I have really been wanting a hollow ground blade and I have been going back and forth between the Earl and Regent. These swords though do not seem like they would be the best blade design for a gothic knight fighting another fully armored knight but perhaps that is just my sense of things. I have a Castellan but because of its length it may not be a knights choice even though the blade geometry might be better suited for the task. There is a really good forum string that I have not been able to locate that shows many examples of gothic armor in museums, some shown with longer swords like the Maximillian, wish I could find it again. Thank you for all of your posts and your time!
Ok found the discussion on 15c German gothic armor it is in the spotlight topics.
I'd also say the Regent. That fishtail pommel screams Gothic to me and its line would compliment typical German Gothic decoration.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: