New DVD: Sword, Buckler, & Messer
Now Available from Freelance Academy Press!...

DVD - German Medieval Martial Arts Volume 2: Sword, Buckler, & Messer

[ Linked Image ] Born in the days of late Antiquity, by the 15th century the knightly cruciform sword had already undergone a millennia of evolution and refinement. Wielded alone or with a secondary arm, on foot it was often accompanied by a small hand-shield, called the buckler, and became a popular sidearm for archers, spearmen, travelers on the road and even rowdy university students!

Unique to the German lands in this period was a falchion-like weapon known as the messer. Wielded much like the arming sword, it grew in popularity with fencing masters, until it was second only to the longsword itself.

In this exciting sequel to Vol 1: The Poleaxe, medieval combat researcher and instructor Christian Tobler continues his exploration of the lost world of chivalric fighting arts, with a detailed look at the messer, its relationship to the sword, and how these techniques are directly linked to combat with the buckler. Specific guards, blows and training sequences are taken from surviving medieval sources, broken down into step-by-step instructions and then supplemented with a series of exercises and drills in a proven training curriculum. Combined with interviews with arms and armour expert Dr. Jeffrey Forgeng and featuring a soundtrack by the Paul Butler Consort, this second volume continues the series tradition of creating a product that is both documentary and practical training guide in one.
I love sword and buckler, thanks for the link. I'll get that video.
Oh, ordered it yesterday and already got the notification that it has been shipped all in the same day, same as my last few orders it was processed quickly.

Looking forward to watching the DVD.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: