Childrens 17th cent reproduction
As a professional historian I often wince a bit when i see children being asked to see 'what it was really like' and struggling to cope with helmets and items of harness not made to fit them, not that educational.

So I have Roman, mid and late medieval armours that are scaled for children to wear to give them a better experience. Also makes the pictures a bit better!

Just picked up the latest addition to the collection, a lovely back and breast plus some different pikemans pots for the budding 6-10 yrs old civil war soldier. Its made by Adam Blockley in the UK who is my go to armourer for this ear, he really has a good feel for the period and an eye for detail. Its actually a lot better than many re-enactors have! I'm very pleased with it and will get to use it next weekend at the delightful Stokesay castle in Shropshire where I'm doing a small civil war soldiers experience day.

Griff

and don't ask me why its sideways, the original isn't!

Attachment: 127.59 KB
photo[19].JPG

Great idea, Mark. Not only does it look wonderful but you have a very valid point about the 'authenticity' of the experience.
Another great acquisition, Griff. This piece certainly won't be perpetrating any misconceptions. I notice that it has even been numbered with punched marks on the various parts - wonderful detail.

I was in a museum just the other day where there were a few pieces of armour for children to try on, and they all fit me generously. I commend your initiative.

-Hildebrandt
Once I was allowed to wear a original XVIth century breastplate (they were much more common than replicas...), but the sizing was a real problem for a 8 year old child :p so this is great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npYwYXDeNUg#t=0m12s ;)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: