Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Teutonic Ritterbruder kit. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Mon 06 May, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Teutonic Ritterbruder kit.         Reply with quote

Hello all, here's my latest incarnation of my Teutonic Ritterbruder kit, the early 14th century!
Enjoy!

Attachment: 12.08 KB
2.jpg

Attachment: 110.29 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 129.99 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 127.41 KB
[ Download ]

"Id rather be historically accurate than politically correct"
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Mon 06 May, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Of course, more pictures! Wink

Attachment: 128.26 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 187.1 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 212.24 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 138.82 KB
[ Download ]

Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 06 May, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice kit! The photos are really well done too. Thanks for sharing!
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Mon 06 May, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Although I admire your effort, I would advise removing the crest and mantling.

http://www.the-orb.net/encyclop/religion/monastic/tk_rule.html
Quote:
11. How and with what the brethren may clothe themselves, and what they may have for bedding.
------------
But should it happen, which God forbid, that a brother outrageously insists on arms or clothing or such things finer or better than those given him, then he deserves to be given worse. For this proves how much he is lacking in the clothing of the heart and in inner virtue, who bothers so much about the outer needs of the body.

Crests generally being an item used in tournament, and the members likely being dissuaded from being participants in such games on principle, it seems dubious if such equipment would have been used.

ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Mon 06 May, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Teutonic brethren were forbidden from tournaments, but in war a large crest would be used to identify leaders in battle. Within my Military Orders group I portray the Grosskomptur, the second-highest rank within the order. That might be someone meriting a crest.
Also the rule allows for gifts from people outside the order, with the permission of one's immediate available superior.

Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Mon 06 May, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"20. How the brethren may be permitted to give, receive and exchange things.

The brethren may exchange or give away without permission what they make of wood, save things which are entrusted to a brother for his use by the superior, and which he shall not exchange or give away without the master's permission; likewise no brother, except the commander, shall receive gifts for his own use without permission of the superior, who also has the power to decide whether he wishes to let the brother keep the gift or give it to someone else."

"However, the rule shall be carefully observed that saddles and bridles and shields be not painted needlessly with gold or silver, or other worldly colors."

The restrictions on military gear, beyond the passage you mentioned, specifically mention those items, without any broad term given for a whole kit, or anything that could include a helmet. It may be a technicality, but if I know the medieval love of loopholes, I imagine some Brudern with a high position had made for them some decorated items.

Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Mon 06 May, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan,

Looks great! One thing that I'd suggest for 'historical accuracy' is to consider your age and the possibility that someone as young as yourself actually would be elected to such a high position in the order. As you know, I'm also a young guy, and my advice to myself is always to look in the mirror and decide on portrayals that I look like I could fit the role for.

The idea of a young man being elected as a Grosskomptur is almost unfeasible, methinks. The election process within the order really only considered one thing: experience. Nobility was hardly even a requirement, and several masters of the Teutonic Order rose from very humble origins. All of them had years of experience serving, though.

Before the kit ever goes on, our own physicality is what makes us look the part. Happy

-Gregory
Theo Squires

PostPosted: Tue 07 May, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The kit looks excellent. I'm not up on the specifics of what brethren could and could not wear, though it seems that you are. However, I have seen depictions of mantles and crests like your own. One thing I believe may add to the effect is a large cloak. That may be expensive or unsuited to your climate, but given that the Teutons were active in a fairly cold part of the world, I imagine a cloak could have been worn, albeit not in combat. Perhaps white with a bear fur trim. Just my thought of course; I'll leave it to wiser men than myself to talk about historical accuracy.
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Tue 07 May, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gregory J. Liebau wrote:
Nathan,

Looks great! One thing that I'd suggest for 'historical accuracy' is to consider your age and the possibility that someone as young as yourself actually would be elected to such a high position in the order. As you know, I'm also a young guy, and my advice to myself is always to look in the mirror and decide on portrayals that I look like I could fit the role for.

The idea of a young man being elected as a Grosskomptur is almost unfeasible, methinks. The election process within the order really only considered one thing: experience. Nobility was hardly even a requirement, and several masters of the Teutonic Order rose from very humble origins. All of them had years of experience serving, though.

Before the kit ever goes on, our own physicality is what makes us look the part. Happy

-Gregory

If it was a professional Living History group then I'd be inclined to agree.
However!
It looks awesome, and for all intensive purposes (even the research, whoa dude that's dedication) imho I think it's fine.

Now Nathan, learn to ride a horse, get some practice jousting and go out and break some sticks!

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Tue 07 May, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, I know in period a young high officer would be very rare, but it did happen on occasion, so I wouldn't use the word unfeasible.
Notable examples are Ulrich Von Jungigen, and Albrecht Von Hohenzollern.

And in actuality, I was chosen for the role, I didn't go out and ask for it.
For living history the most a young guy like me (especially if I bend my age from 18 to the early 20's) could portray would be a Komptur. Maybe a Kompturei if you had an awesome track record, and had friends and relatives in high places w/in the Order. (not that I have the attendants and camp to portray even a Ritterbruder for all out encampment living history)

Theo, yes, I actually have a mantle but it wouldn't be worn in battle (I don't want a large, very grabbable 3 pounds of linen swinging off my neck during a fight). It goes with the soft kit, or possibly riding to and forth in war.

Sam, thanks, I'm really happy with the kit too. And don't worry, I'll be sure to get myself into equestrian shenanigans sometime! Wink

Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jul, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan,
I thought this image might be of interest to you since it appears to be a monk of the order from the early 14th century.

Universitätsbibliothek Frankfurt am Main, MS. Barth. 115 folio 37 recto, bas-de-page
Legenda aurea, Köln, 1324
http://sammlungen.ub.uni-frankfurt.de/msma/co...ew/3824731

There' another image on folio 67v, but it's hidden in the binding.
http://sammlungen.ub.uni-frankfurt.de/msma/co...ew/3824792

Attachment: 116.06 KB
UBF Ms.Barth.115 fo037r.jpg

ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jul, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent work Nathan!

I've had the privilege of watching your kit develop over the last few years. As I've mentioned before, I'm amazed at your dedication to research & learning and impressed by your kit, especially considering your age and that fact that money doesn't grow on trees.

Well done.

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Thomas R.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jul, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I second, what Scott wrote. You've come a long way, Nathan. And I am looking forward to see your next, even more advanced kit. Big Grin

Thomas

http://maerenundlobebaeren.tumblr.com/
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jul, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice work! If you were around here I'd say you should stop by the Crossroads event. You indeed have come a long way. One of the most challenging and neat things about this game.

once again, well done!

RPM
Foong Chen Hong

PostPosted: Wed 31 Jul, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wish my Templar kit are as good as yours Big Grin
Descanse En Paz

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Teutonic Ritterbruder kit.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic