Danziger handgonne. New boomstick!
Finally got around to finding a good handgonne. This one is a fairly good replica of the Danziger handgonne. Everything is handmade and cast from quality bronze. For safety the gun is lined with a hydraulic steel pipe. The pole is actually pine but from ancient slow growing high altitude trees so it's density is probably higher than oak.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
That's really cool. Who made it? I've often thought of having an early gonne in my collection.
It's made by a Danish craftsman: http://bronzeart.dk/
The gun is not featured on their website but you can see the diversity of their work. Very high end and authentic casting methods.
Very neat. Let us know what kind of accuracy you can get out of it!
Wow, that's a pretty cool hunk of metal! Please make a video of your test shootings!

Have good time,
Thomas
That is just so cool! Would love to see a pic of you holding it like it should be held to fire. I'm having a hard time understanding how that was done...I assume that it would be held under the arm with one hand and lit with the other?
Tim Lison wrote:
That is just so cool! Would love to see a pic of you holding it like it should be held to fire. I'm having a hard time understanding how that was done...I assume that it would be held under the arm with one hand and lit with the other?

Indeed, this is relatively new territory for me. I too would like to learn more about the use and details of such a weapon.

Jon
Most of the period illustrations that I have seen show the smaller handgonnes being used in a manner similar to that of the crossbow. The trail goes over the right shoulder, left hand supporting, and the match is applied with the right. That being said, many other illustrations show the trail held underarm, others show the trail being butted to the ground for higher angle fire, or perhaps recoil mitigation from larger handgonnes.
A few pics of the alternatives I've seen in illustrations. With a linstock I can reach the touchhole from any position. Some people say the gun was fused, others say the touchhole was primed with gun powder. From people who have shot a lot of handgonnes I've been told that the most accurate technique is the hip-shot. Instinctive shooting that is, like throwing a snowball or shooting an arrow from a medieval bow. I also recommend this page for additional nerd levels: http://musketeer.ch/blackpowder/bp_menu.html

High stance:
[ Linked Image ]

Under arm:
[ Linked Image ]

Shooting from the hip:
[ Linked Image ]

Volley shot. Handgonnes also shot arrows similar to crossbow bolts.
[ Linked Image ]
Thanks for the excellent photos of the firing poses! The "from the hip" pose does seem to make the most sense. Great kit too. I don't know why I hadn't thought of it before but as I looked at the photos it occured to me that the handgonne could also be quite a good melee weapon if needed! This piece is just soooooo cool! Congrats again!
Other period methods of igniting these things are a red hot metal wire, kept in a brazier (when shooting from a fortified position such as battlements, for instance). As well as, of course, the ubiquitous slowmatch. Later versions had a simple long pivoted iron lever nailed to the side of the stock, with the slowmatch clamped on the end, which allowed the slowmatch tip to be dropped onto the touchhole.

There are versions with a projection (a 'hook') cast into the barrel and projecting downwards. These gave rise to the term 'hackbut' (from hackenbuchse or hook-gun). This was used to steady the barrel against a fortification or a pavise, but were also useful for turning it into a percussive weapon (polearm) once the shot was fired. Below is an unusual double one*

It has been show through the diligence of reenactors, that using hand-made period-type slow-burning powder, there is sufficient time to light the priming charge, return both hands to the grip and 'adjust' your aim before the main charge goes off, making them more accurate than you would expect (or could recreate with modern, fast-burning powder which is almost intantaneous).

A very good resource for in-depth discussion of period handgonnes is the European Armoury section of the Vikingsword forum: (the below being one of many, many topics on the subject)
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?...light=1481

*photo taken from vikingsword forum

Attachment: 18.01 KB
Double Handgonne 1420 1.jpg

Tim Lison wrote:
Thanks for the excellent photos of the firing poses! The "from the hip" pose does seem to make the most sense. Great kit too. I don't know why I hadn't thought of it before but as I looked at the photos it occured to me that the handgonne could also be quite a good melee weapon if needed! This piece is just soooooo cool! Congrats again!

How many guns have you shot?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: