Del Tin Gladius construction?
Hello all

First, I apologize if this topic was opened somewhere else, if so is because I couldn't find it. Does anyone here own or handled the Del Tin Pompeii gladius? I was looking at it for couple days and wondered if sword components back then were made of wood, then wouldn't it crack if suffer from some sort of a heavy impact? But again is that the case in modern sword making technology? So the main question comes down to how well are the Del Tin gladius in terms of their wooden components.

Thanks for replying!

-Ed

P.S and also please pardon my incompetence on lacking the knowledge of the Roman gladius.
Re: Del Tin Gladius construction?
Edward Lee wrote:
Hello all

First, I apologize if this topic was opened somewhere else, if so is because I couldn't find it. Does anyone here own or handled the Del Tin Pompeii gladius? I was looking at it for couple days and wondered if sword components back then were made of wood, then wouldn't it crack if suffer from some sort of a heavy impact? But again is that the case in modern sword making technology? So the main question comes down to how well are the Del Tin gladius in terms of their wooden components.

Thanks for replying!

-Ed

P.S and also please pardon my incompetence on lacking the knowledge of the Roman gladius.

If by "back then" you mean authentic Roman gladii, then the answer is Yes. Roman sword hilts were made of wood. Or bone. Or wood and bone. There were some exceptions (primarily the "ring-hilt" swords of the 2nd-3rd centuries), and some organic hilts were plated or covered in metal (mainly silver), but for the most part, your typical gladius or spatha would have had a mostly or entirely organic hilt. Most reproduction gladii and spathae reflect this, at least the more accurate ones.
I am not sure what kind of wood Del Tin uses, but I'm pretty sure it will hold up to most reasonable use.
Re: Del Tin Gladius construction?
David Wilson wrote:
Edward Lee wrote:
Hello all

Thanks for replying!

-Ed

If by "back then" you mean authentic Roman gladii, then the answer is Yes. Roman sword hilts were made of wood. Or bone. Or wood and bone. There were some exceptions (primarily the "ring-hilt" swords of the 2nd-3rd centuries), and some organic hilts were plated or covered in metal (mainly silver), but for the most part, your typical gladius or spatha would have had a mostly or entirely organic hilt. Most reproduction gladii and spathae reflect this, at least the more accurate ones.
I am not sure what kind of wood Del Tin uses, but I'm pretty sure it will hold up to most reasonable use.

Thank you for your reply sir.
This might help:

http://www.larp.com/legioxx/gladius.html

As David said, wood was typical for Roman hilts, though bone and ivory were also used. Grips were more commonly bone. Other cultures used wood and bone hilt parts as well, so it's not like the Romans were unusual in this regard.

My own gladius is a Del Tin, though I've had it for over 20 years so I don't know what might be different on the current model. I also have not done any real cutting with it, so can't tell you anything about its durability.

Matthew
Some extant gladius have a packing of leather in some areas and some have the handles packed with moss. Whether this is to stop them loosening up, shock absorbancy or something else i don't know. But on many gladius I have used the wooden pommel has split straight across. However they were through the middle of a centralised bit of wood (ash) rather than a bit turned from a section of a billet as tol handles should ideally be.

Griff

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: