Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pics of Viking stuff............
I was surfing around the web and found these interesting pics.
courtesy of: http://www.vikingsofkyrbyr.gbtllc.com/

Museum of National Antiquities, Stockholm Sweden
[ Linked Image ]
National Museum of Denmark, Copenhagen
[ Linked Image ]
Museum of Cultural History, University of Oslo
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
Neat stuff. Some of the blades appear (from a distance) to be in very good condition.

Images to the left of the last pic look strange. Any idea what they are? Large rings = Shackles from a dungeon/jail?
Steve Grisetti wrote:
Images to the left of the last pic look strange. Any idea what they are? Large rings = Shackles from a dungeon/jail?

well I dont know about the doll, but the rings might be torques (sp?) and there seems to be a horse bit near the bottom...

personally I dig the prince valiant cut on the maniquin... :D
Whoa, look at the size of those spearheads in the second pic.
Steve Grisetti wrote:
Neat stuff. Some of the blades appear (from a distance) to be in very good condition.

I really have no idea what those things are. I agree with Alex that the one in the lower part of the photo appears to be a horse bit. Hard to tell what the other ones are. Some kind of horse tack as well? They're probably something as pedestrian as pot hangers :D
Einar Drønnesund wrote:
Whoa, look at the size of those spearheads in the second pic.

Yes, those really caught my eye as well. It would be nice to see spears of that size replicated. Pattern welded examples would be neat too!
Steve Grisetti wrote:

Puppet clamps, or, in Swedish, "pøpenvisen"

;)
Sean Flynt wrote:
Steve Grisetti wrote:

Puppet clamps, or, in Swedish, "pøpenvisen"

;)

That's Norwegian (at best)!
Are these finds from Valsgarde/Vendel?
Douglas S wrote:
Are these finds from Valsgarde/Vendel?

The top photo with the sword and shield bears the caption "Vendel arms, ca. 7th - 8th Century AD".

It doesn't specify whether this is the exact find place or if they are sipnly Vendel period items.
In the top picture, the sword is Vendel-I don't remember the find place off hand. The helmet is appears to be a Vendel/Valsgarde(sp) item and I don't believe I have seen the shield before although the design certainly fits the period and area.

Here is a replica made by Patrick Barta:
[ Linked Image ]
What is that sword to the right in the last picture? It almost looks like a keris?
Russ Ellis wrote:
What is that sword to the right in the last picture? It almost looks like a keris?

It's a standard Viking sword with a bent (unintentionaly) upper and lower guard.
Patrick Kelly wrote:
Russ Ellis wrote:

It's a standard Viking sword with a bent (unintentionaly) upper and lower guard.

Is it just a shadow or something I'm seeing that makes the base of the blade look as wide as the cross and give it that weird profile?
Russ Ellis wrote:
Is it just a shadow or something I'm seeing that makes the base of the blade look as wide as the cross and give it that weird profile?

Hah, Russ, I didn't see it originally, but now that you mention it I can totally see what you're seeing. Crazy.
Russ Ellis wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:
Russ Ellis wrote:

It's just a shadow. That sword is pictured in a couple of books I have around here.
Sigh... oh well there goes my Phillipino viking theory.... :)
Russ Ellis wrote:
Sigh... oh well there goes my Phillipino viking theory.... :)

Hey Russ...
I like the theory!
If the Vikings sailed to America then they could just as easily passed through the Panama Canal and made their way across the Pacific. ;)

What there was no Canal then!!! :eek: Well... they carried their long boat across the isthmus... yeah that's what they did! I can see old Barefoot Magnus standing proud at the rudder as they cross the new world :lol: :D ;) :p

ks
Lol I was thinking more along the lines of:

They sailed across the North Sea, plundered and pillaged across northern Europe and France to Paris, hopped the Orient Express to India, rode elephants down the peninsula, built new longboats out teak logs and sailed the southern seas!
Russ... You're right, that is a much more exciting route... So many more people to plunder. But it is along way to carry a longboat and I am not sure that the orient express was running in the 10th century... :\ ;)

ks
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: