Put a top spike on Cold Steel pole axe?
Hello:

I was wondering if anyone knows how to add a top spike onto Cold Steel's pole axe. It does not come with one - just an axe on one side and a hammer on the other.

Does anyone know why they did not include a top spike or offer one as an optional accessory?

Thank you! :-)
That axe head is too heavy as it is; adding a top spike would make it worse.

I'd probably make a decent project axe, but I sold mine after not using it or even displaying it for a couple of years.
Dustin, I have to agree with Scott. That axe is already waaay head-heavy. I owned one for several years. I removed the black paint and antiqued mine. I also shortened the handle on mine, and that made it even heavier feeling. I did, however, think about adding a top spike. The way I would have done it is this: Find a good quality steel bolt, about 1/2" dia. with a long unthreaded shaft. Drill a hole straight down the top of the haft of the axe, down through past the head. The hole should be just big enough to put the threads of the bolt in and twist it down all the way tight. Once you get the bolt threaded into the haft good and tight, twist it out. Now, grind or cut the head off the bolt and grind a point on it. Polish it up to look good, then give the threads a shot of epoxy and twist it back into the haft. You may have to use a pair of vise-grip pliers locked down tight. There's your spike. You may have a better idea, but that's what I was gonna do. Just my two cents......McM :D
P.S.----You could also weld a large steel washer to the bolt to make a rondel between the spike and the head. A little decorative file work would dress it up a bit.............fwiw. McM :D
I have on of these as well and agree that it looks a bit bare with out a spike. I also considered putting one on mine and played with different ideas. The most reasonable sounding one to my mind was basically what Mark said. the addition on the rondel is a good idea. I hadn't thought of that. Personally I liked the idea of the spike having a square cross section. you could have a black smith make the spike and weld it to the threaded rod, then just proceed as mark suggested.

All of that said I do also have to agree with the assessment that this would add unnecessary weight to an already heavy head.
If you still want to at a top spike, I would suggest looking at the cut spikes from Tremont Nail company. They have some pretty substantial ones, and they are going to have a better look than a more modern style bolt or spike.

Not sure of the steel though, so I'm not certain if they are hardenable. Haven't gotten around to asking that question.

Edit: I checked, and the steel is a 1015 mild steel. Not hardenable. So, while it would probably look fairly authentic, it wouldn't have as good a performance as the rest of the head.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: