For Albion - Alternative metals for hilts?
Albion folks,
Will there be (or are there) any other metals available for hilt materials on Albion medieval and viking swords? I'm a fan of bronze (especially on Viking-type sword), and silver-plating, etc. Are these customization options?

Thanks
To add to Chad's question a bit, what if any options for handle material do the 'stock' swords have. I am kind of envisioning a
horn/bone/antler type grip on a viking sword, myself. Can that be done, or is the stock version pretty much the only way to go?

And why oh why couldn't I have been born rich instead of handsome?.... (Never mind, don't answer this... It can only go downhill from here... :D ) If I were, I'd already have ordered a Vinland off'n ya'll....
<<<<imagines VInland viking sword with bronze fittings and bone grip..........

Ya know, with all those in house sword smiths, its seems like the bronze would be a easy swappable option...... but the bone, id imagine would up the price a few pesos
David Stokes wrote:

Ya know, with all those in house sword smiths, its seems like the bronze would be a easy swappable option......

I may be talking out of the side of my mouth here (and anyone who knows better please correct me) but I don't think it would be as easy as it sounds. I think different metals have different contraction rates when cooling and a set of molds made for steel would not produce the same size fittings when used for bronze. That would mean a completely new set of waxes would have to be carved and a seperate sets of molds made.
They could always offer the fittings with gold guilding for an additional fee !

Mac
Harlan Hastings wrote:
David Stokes wrote:

Ya know, with all those in house sword smiths, its seems like the bronze would be a easy swappable option......

I may be talking out of the side of my mouth here (and anyone who knows better please correct me) but I don't think it would be as easy as it sounds. I think different metals have different contraction rates when cooling and a set of molds made for steel would not produce the same size fittings when used for bronze. That would mean a completely new set of waxes would have to be carved and a seperate sets of molds made.

The phenomenon is accurate however the difference should not be enough to require new molds IMO. Bronze generally shrinks more than steel, but there are many variable in process and alloys.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: