Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Why do you sell? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
P. Schontzler

PostPosted: Tue 21 May, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Why do you sell?         Reply with quote

I'm curious about the motivations for selling swords / kits, etc. No one has unlimited income, so that's the obvious answer: sell to get money.

But why? Are you upgrading to nicer swords? Changing interest in periods? Gotta pay rent/real life demands?
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 21 May, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Why do you sell?         Reply with quote

Sometimes just getting rid of unused swords, to save maintenance and space.

P. Schontzler wrote:
I'm curious about the motivations for selling swords / kits, etc. No one has unlimited income, so that's the obvious answer: sell to get money.

But why? Are you upgrading to nicer swords? Changing interest in periods? Gotta pay rent/real life demands?

Ancient Combat Association —http://www.acahk.org
Realistic Sparring Weapons — http://www.rsw.com.hk
Nightstalkers — http://www.nightstalkers.com.hk
G.L. Williamson

PostPosted: Tue 21 May, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When I first read the OP's post, I registered selling swords/"KIDs"...lol As to the swords/kits/et al...I imagine there are many reasons, of course, but the most common (with me) is the "money sitting in the corner" thing. If I'm not getting enough use/enjoyment from an item, it seems wise to move it on to a good home, and have the money it represents for something I actively need or want. I recently sold a bayonet and an original Ames (1850 Foot Officer), not because I didn't like them on some level--nor them having issues--but instead due to simply recognizing I'd get more use/enjoyment from something else.

Obviously, I still have items I don't actually touch/use often, yet do not sell, because I still enjoy simply looking at it/them as I do...As an example, we have a couple rather old Colts which see little active use, though just seeing them (and carrying/shooting them every once in a blue moon or three) still brings a warm smile to my face. Thankfully, my wife is very understanding and supportive of such things. Wink

_________
l'audace...
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 21 May, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bored with what I have.

Want to try/learn something new.

Interest shift.

New hobbies.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Christopher B Lellis

PostPosted: Tue 21 May, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't sell mine and never will.
There was an article written on this website about how we are "keepers" of swords until we pass them to the next "keeper"

NONSENSE, not concerning me. I would will never get rid of my Albions, the closest thing I could to do that is pass them down to a relative when I die but sell? Not happening.
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Tue 21 May, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have swords I will sell, I have others I will not.

I have 12 Albion swords one of which is a duplicate. That one is for sale or trade for the right price or piece though I have not put it up as such. I have others I bought in 2008 or 2009 because I got them cheep and when the market is right they are for sale but I do not sell 'my swords'

My Swords, well they are the core of the collection, not for sale, not for trade, mine because I love them.
They are as much a part of my home as I am
http://abnsmith.deviantart.com/gallery/37206593

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 21 May, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I keep mine, though I tell myself that I should thin out the collection, get rid of the old stuff or pieces that I couldn't bond with.

Many have a limited budget to buy swords, and can only justify getting something new and desirable by selling one of their old ones to help pay for it - one that has perhaps lost its appeal.
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Tue 21 May, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think i am over 130 now, Eek!
David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 21 May, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't sell anything in my collection, not because I can't imagine selling anything, but because I am too lazy to put together the pictures and prepare the package once the item is sold. I do need to get around to that . . . . . . one day.

Big Grin
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 21 May, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have sold many swords over the years. The reason is very simple. I like to refresh my collection now and again. I get tired of some swords and want to get new ones instead. Some I think I will keep forever but, to be honest, who knows?
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Tue 21 May, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher B Lellis wrote:
I don't sell mine and never will.
There was an article written on this website about how we are "keepers" of swords until we pass them to the next "keeper"

NONSENSE, not concerning me. I would will never get rid of my Albions, the closest thing I could to do that is pass them down to a relative when I die but sell? Not happening.
Tagging this post for the future... We'll revisit this one in a few years Wink

To the OP, I sell when something no long holds me anymore. When the maintenance outweighs the pleasure it gives me.

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 21 May, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are many reasons I sell. For starters, my collection is stored in a display cabinet of finite size and is basically full. If I want to add something new, I need to make space. I promised my wife I wouldn't take over our house with my crap. Happy There's also a financial reason. To keep from being a drain on family finances, I've been operating my collecting for more than 6 years with no money out of pocket. That means I buy some things to sell and sell off other things I no longer need/want to fund new purchases. It's kind of fun and is very challenging.

In the past, I've sold things because I didn't like them as much as I thought I would. I bought a rapier and sold it after I discovered rapiers weren't my primary focus. Ditto a Viking sword. Ditto a compound hilted sword (whose sale helped fund an engagement ring). And there were other things I bought on impulse and regretted later. There were yet more items that were great until something better came along.

I love my collection. It's not huge by some standards around here (7 swords, 1 helm, 6 knives, and 8 daggers-- no 130 items for me Happy ). There are items I would hate to sell, but I'm not sure there's anything that is beyond considering selling.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
P. Schontzler

PostPosted: Tue 21 May, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Ditto a compound hilted sword (whose sale helped fund an engagement ring).

This has to be the best reason ever. You win. Happy
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 21 May, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I do it just 'cause I like gettin' stuff in the mail. Anytime I get a long, heavy box from UPS, I ...umm, ahh...get a bit of a thrill from it. Sometimes. Laughing Out Loud ..............McM
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 22 May, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I sell because it's just stuff. Sometimes I get bored with the current stuff and want new stuff. I have a very few pieces I'm sentimental about and would hate to sell, the rest is just stuff, cool, but hardly essential to my well being.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 22 May, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I sell because it's just stuff. Sometimes I get bored with the current stuff and want new stuff. I have a very few pieces I'm sentimental about and would hate to sell, the rest is just stuff, cool, but hardly essential to my well being.

Exactly. Though I'm a collector; I'm not my collection. It's just stuff: cool, expensive, nifty stuff. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
William M

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 22 May, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I sell swords as I only have so much money to spend on swords and I have a wide ranging interest with regards to sword styles, so I have to rotate my collection... out with the old, in with the new!
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Wed 22 May, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
I do it just 'cause I like gettin' stuff in the mail. Anytime I get a long, heavy box from UPS, I ...umm, ahh...get a bit of a thrill from it. Sometimes. Laughing Out Loud ..............McM

So one day I googled my house, from the street view there is a long white box in the door way,
I wounder what that could be? LOL

130 is a bit much, I have 50 to 60 on display, trying to go for that 'MET' look. My wife is very tolerant but then the back bedroom is her "loom room" with several looms to include a full size tapestry loom and knitting and sewing and all things string,

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Wed 22 May, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've recently thought about selling. my collection is very limited, and my next planed purchase is going to be about as much as the last one, but still a strain when you have so many other finances to deal with.

but in a way, the few that i have are all worth more to me than what i can get for them, so i would rather keep them. i have a few that are just wall hangers, and I've considered selling them more than the others, but these days the problem is no one really wants them. (seems to be the same for chrome wheels i just cant sell the things.)

i wouldn't say that my interests in them shift to the point that one style and i abandon one. the study of one leads to another and another and another. i do have a wish list, thankfully its small and maybe one day I'll obtain a collection of sorts that reflects the research and craftsmanship i appreciate.
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 22 May, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I sell sometimes because of space requirements.

About 4 years ago, I took an inventory and had over 150 swords. I gifted about 40 of the lower cost (200 or less) ones and sold some others.

I currently have it down under a hundred now. My target is to get down to 50 or so. Problem is I like what I have in the collection now. Laughing Out Loud

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Why do you sell?
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: