Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Constructing a Game of Thrones inspired kit Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Phil D.

Reading list: 56 books

PostPosted: Tue 30 Apr, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Constructing a Game of Thrones inspired kit         Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,
( I edited the title because I seem to have derailed my own initial thread of seeing everyone's garb.I will re list a "show us" thread).

Now I know that with the popularity of Game of Thrones a few of us out here have been putting together some GoT kits for Ren Fests or what have you. I am working on a few ideas but have yet to define the final kit.Any and all feedback,suggestions,etc. are welcome.

I don't have anyone today to take a pic of it worn so here is what I have made and/or pieced together so far:

Attachment: 63.04 KB
black.jpg

Attachment: 123.93 KB
black2.jpg

Attachment: 66.09 KB
black1.jpg

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."

Last edited by Phil D. on Thu 02 May, 2013 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 01 May, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very neat, Phil ! Did you MAKE all that from scratch? If you did...whatever you do for a living....you might be in the wrong business!! Laughing Out Loud That looks straight-up Hollywood! The sword is a discontinued Windlass, is it not? The Towton, I believe? I bet it all looks great worn together. Good job!......McM
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Wed 01 May, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hello
I like it ! :-) Any maile other than the coif or a helmet?
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 01 May, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For those who have seen none or little of GoT maybe some links to what you are trying to copy?

Looks interesting though. I like how everything seems very cohesive. All fits together. Any pictures of it in use?

I like that GoT generally is trying to make functional arms and armour, maybe not as functional as LotRs armour from the movies but looks pretty good for the most part from what I have seen. I hate how so much of cinema makes junk, funny how a fantasy movie has more realistic clothing and armour than recent supposed historic ones. I only watched a few episodes before I stopped watching.... could hardly stand how much people say realistic fiction in interviews, over and over like it was something they were trained to say.... if the real world was as GoT is none of us would be here. And they killed my fav. character before the story even got started basically. Bummer for Sean and Mark they are awesome.

Nice work!

RPM
Kuo Xie

PostPosted: Wed 01 May, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Let me guess from the red-lined cloak... Mance Rayder?

I am an old fan of the books so it will be interesting to see what people come up with. I am disappointed with the gear on the show. The books had some truly awesome personalized armor (Renly's forest green plate, Robert's horned helm, Rhaegar's ruby on black, etc), heraldry, and tournament pageantry which the show has largely ignored in favor of standardized uniforms for the various factions. All the northmen have that brigandine thing, the Lannisters have the lobster armor, the Kingsguard have the golden paladin suit, etc. I understand why it had to be done that way for identification and budgetary reasons, but it's really not what I imagined. At least they made an effort to keep it functional-looking though.
Phil D.

PostPosted: Wed 01 May, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark - Thanks.I can't take credit for making all of it from scratch.Some I made,some I've owned through the years and just modified.The sword is the Arbedo and the old style coustille. A very nice sword based on the Oakeshott XVIIIa.4(see myArmoury pic below).

Karl - I wasn't planning on any more maile.Just the coif and the bits hanging from the shoulders.But I may attach some type of mail hand covering to the leather bracers.Also,I may make some type of leather helm unless I find a fitting style helm on line...any suggestions are always welcome. I also need to make or buy a sword and dagger belt.

Randall - The kit is more what I imagined from the books combined with some ideas from the show.I like House Bolton but need to add pink somewhere into the color scheme.But since I haven't quite decided on a finished theme yet I will also be making interchangeable parts for the maroon pieces.Maroon to all black for the Watch,maroon to green for House Mormont or finally,adding some chains for House Umber. Plus custom painted large buckler and banner. Or I may just use my current kite as a last resort but the design doesn't really match up with my GoT ideas..

Here is a link that shows great stills of different armours from the show... http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/armour...es.226810/

Attachment: 13.95 KB
xviiia.jpg

Attachment: 67.65 KB
sword0.jpg

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."

Last edited by Phil D. on Wed 01 May, 2013 2:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Phil D.

PostPosted: Wed 01 May, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

PS - I also hope that others will start posting some of their own GoT creations...even if not yet completed.

Phil D.

PostPosted: Wed 01 May, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kuo Xie - I wasn't thinking of Mance while putting this together(actually no specific character in particular).But considering his story of the mended cloak it definitely opens it up to more ideas.

Mark Moore

PostPosted: Wed 01 May, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ahh......the Arbedo sword! That's what I was trying to think of. Great looking piece...too bad they canned it. Sad Once again...great kit! More pics!........McM
Phil D.

PostPosted: Wed 01 May, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark - I am currently making more "distressed" accessories(I like the battle worn look)...pouch,water/wine bottle,etc...even a blow horn...I will update as I go along. Luckily I have until October for the Texas Ren Fest.

Mark Moore

PostPosted: Wed 01 May, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ahh.....The TexRen!...........Maybe I'll see you there! Couldn't make Scarborough Faire this year. (Sorry, Tom Carr!) I doubt I would mistake you for anyone else! Have a good one!.......McM
Phil D.

PostPosted: Thu 02 May, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

First conversion: Night's Watch...I am not quite sure if I like this as much as the first...

Attachment: 65.42 KB
night.jpg

Attachment: 78.5 KB
night3.jpg

Phil D.

PostPosted: Thu 02 May, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My brother in law surprised me with this incredible wine skin...I think that it is a great addition...

Attachment: 81.84 KB
bota.jpg

Attachment: 102.97 KB
bota1.jpg

Phil D.

PostPosted: Thu 02 May, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Per Karl's idea,added more chain...

Attachment: 56.97 KB
wall1.jpg

Attachment: 52.94 KB
wall.jpg

Phil D.

PostPosted: Thu 02 May, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kuo Xie wrote:
Let me guess from the red-lined cloak... Mance Rayder?

I am an old fan of the books so it will be interesting to see what people come up with. I am disappointed with the gear on the show. The books had some truly awesome personalized armor (Renly's forest green plate, *Robert's horned helm*, Rhaegar's ruby on black, etc), heraldry, and tournament pageantry which the show has largely ignored in favor of standardized uniforms for the various factions. All the northmen have that brigandine thing, the Lannisters have the lobster armor, the Kingsguard have the golden paladin suit, etc. I understand why it had to be done that way for identification and budgetary reasons, but it's really not what I imagined. At least they made an effort to keep it functional-looking though.

By the way,even though not worn. The show had Robert's horned helm in a back shot.You can see it to the left of the ex-king...

Attachment: 70.25 KB
roberthelm.jpg

Ryan Harting

PostPosted: Thu 02 May, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I saw that Grand Bascinet in that scene and was all excited to see it in action...
Peter Messent

PostPosted: Thu 02 May, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks great!

If it helps any, I read that the GoT costume-makers brushed the Nights Watch clothing with melted wax to give a 'snow-worn'/distressed look.
Andy K.

PostPosted: Sun 05 May, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Phil,

Very nice. I wonder if it might not be easier to turn it into a hedge knight's armor? It always fascinated me that the Night's Watch maille was described by the author as black, but it's a mystery to me how one would actually go about doing it. A hedge knight's (or freerider's) kit would offer a broader range of options for customizing. Of course, my own personal favorite is Bronn's outfit. In any case, sounds like a fun project, really GoT me thinking about following suit.
Phil D.

PostPosted: Sun 05 May, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Andy,
A Hedge Knight is definitely something to think about.I don't think that I will use the chain shirt due to weight and heat for the Tex Ren Fest. But I still have a few more additions and deletions before I am fully satisfied.I hope that you post your things as well.

Thanks for the feedback.

Andy K.

PostPosted: Sun 05 May, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

LOL Phil, I need to actually work something up before I can post it. As usual, it's a lot easier to give advice than to follow it. But your project is really interesting, and I am really curious what your final version of the armor ends up being.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Constructing a Game of Thrones inspired kit
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic