19th c. British Sword?
Hello All...

I have attached a rather poor photo of a sword which an acquaintance of mine is planning to buy. He thinks it is mid-19th c. British military. I think the dating may be accurate but I am not sure of the origin. He says the markings on it are "VI" and "WAC" which did not help me any. The engraving on the blade, just visible in the photo, is a knight on a rampant horse holding a sword in an upraised arm. The basket is brass (or bronze) and is a half basket, which he found unusual. He is particularly interested in the device on the guard, which he thinks may be a "clan crest" but I do not, being familiar with just about all of them. It reminded me, at first glance, of the flaming bomb or grenade found on the badges of most of the British fusilier regiments. A diligent search through my references, however, turned up nothing on that score.

I will see this sword next weekend and will attempt to take better photos of it at the time. If no one IDs it before then, perhaps better photos will help.

Thanks in advance for any information you may have.

Attachment: 85.39 KB
[ Download ]
Fusilier ?
The grenade emblem was popular with Grenadier regiments. Maybe french ?
Re: Fusilier ?
Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:
The grenade emblem was popular with Grenadier regiments. Maybe french ?
\

That is possible. I was looking at British regiments only, based on my friend's initial comments. I will seek out information on French Grenadiers.

Thanks..
Hey Lin,
Here is a similar (slightly fancier)version...

http://www.antiqueswordforum.com/viewtopic.ph...4fd8bc66ea

Military Heritage also offers replicas of these and list them as French Imperial Grenadier...

http://www.militaryheritage.com/swords1.htm
Definitely not British. It looks like a modern Chinese fake to me. The blade shape, fuller placement, and engraving look very suspicious to me. Does he have any more images? I am curious about the "VI" and "WAC" marks in particular.
Ok, it is definitely a modern Chinese fake. See Ebay item number 140934639533.
Jonathan Hopkins wrote:
Ok, it is definitely a modern Chinese fake. See Ebay item number 140934639533.

Thanks Jonathan. I looked at ihe listing and I concur. I warned my friend. It was represented to him as British and an antique. The engraving on the blade, what I could see of it, looked too modern. Thanks also to you Phil, for the links.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: