Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Baskethilt help! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 10 Apr, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Baskethilt help!         Reply with quote

I have an opportunity to buy this baskethilt relatively cheap, but neither I or the seller are sure if it is a real 1828 baskethilt or not... Only pictures I have of it at the moment are these, is there anything that reveals it as a replica or could it be real? No markings on it at all... If it is a real thing the price is low, but too expansive if it is just another cheap replica like the one by Universal Swords one for example... Thanks for any help...

Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Wed 10 Apr, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka,
If you can get photos of any blade etching and the proof disc then we can better determine its authenticity.

Jonathan
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 11 Apr, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Better close-up pics would help, but this particular sword LOOKS just like the one I'm looking at on my mantle right now. Mine is an India-made replica from the 70's or 80's. I could be wrong. I base this on the sheath and a few styling details I can see on the basket in your pics. FWIW....Mine is a quite sturdy replica, but very heavy. Good luck.....McM
E.B. Erickson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 11 Apr, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks like a replica: those forward guards (the loops at the front of the hilt) are a disaster! They appear to have been cut in one piece with the cross, and then just bent over. The way that they join the side knucklebows is also off. What can be seen of the pommel looks like the wrong shape as well.

Compare the construction of this hilt with a photo of an original and you'll see what I mean.

--ElJay
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 11 Apr, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It seems I'll just skip it than... I don't want to bother the seller with more photos if it's relatively obvious this is a replica. No etchings or marks are present on the blade. Thanks!
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 11 Apr, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
It seems I'll just skip it than... I don't want to bother the seller with more photos if it's relatively obvious this is a replica. No etchings or marks are present on the blade. Thanks!

That is a replica. The funky guards are a dead giveaway. The sell for $75 - $90 in the US but are made in India.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 11 Apr, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

E.B. Erickson wrote:
Looks like a replica: those forward guards (the loops at the front of the hilt) are a disaster! They appear to have been cut in one piece with the cross, and then just bent over. The way that they join the side knucklebows is also off. What can be seen of the pommel looks like the wrong shape as well.

Compare the construction of this hilt with a photo of an original and you'll see what I mean.

--ElJay

They are actually soldered on.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Baskethilt help!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic