Baskethilt help!
I have an opportunity to buy this baskethilt relatively cheap, but neither I or the seller are sure if it is a real 1828 baskethilt or not... Only pictures I have of it at the moment are these, is there anything that reveals it as a replica or could it be real? No markings on it at all... If it is a real thing the price is low, but too expansive if it is just another cheap replica like the one by Universal Swords one for example... Thanks for any help...

Luka,
If you can get photos of any blade etching and the proof disc then we can better determine its authenticity.

Jonathan
Better close-up pics would help, but this particular sword LOOKS just like the one I'm looking at on my mantle right now. Mine is an India-made replica from the 70's or 80's. I could be wrong. I base this on the sheath and a few styling details I can see on the basket in your pics. FWIW....Mine is a quite sturdy replica, but very heavy. Good luck.....McM
Looks like a replica: those forward guards (the loops at the front of the hilt) are a disaster! They appear to have been cut in one piece with the cross, and then just bent over. The way that they join the side knucklebows is also off. What can be seen of the pommel looks like the wrong shape as well.

Compare the construction of this hilt with a photo of an original and you'll see what I mean.

--ElJay
It seems I'll just skip it than... I don't want to bother the seller with more photos if it's relatively obvious this is a replica. No etchings or marks are present on the blade. Thanks!
Luka Borscak wrote:
It seems I'll just skip it than... I don't want to bother the seller with more photos if it's relatively obvious this is a replica. No etchings or marks are present on the blade. Thanks!

That is a replica. The funky guards are a dead giveaway. The sell for $75 - $90 in the US but are made in India.
E.B. Erickson wrote:
Looks like a replica: those forward guards (the loops at the front of the hilt) are a disaster! They appear to have been cut in one piece with the cross, and then just bent over. The way that they join the side knucklebows is also off. What can be seen of the pommel looks like the wrong shape as well.

Compare the construction of this hilt with a photo of an original and you'll see what I mean.

--ElJay

They are actually soldered on.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: