Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Thordeman's book online Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 05 Apr, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Thordeman's book online         Reply with quote

If anyone wants to read Thordeman's book on the Armour of Wisby then it is online here:
http://michael-engel.io.ua/album329328_0
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Fri 05 Apr, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, thanks! I didn't think I would see this book online...
Kai Lawson

PostPosted: Fri 05 Apr, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to make this link available.
"And they crossed swords."
--William Goldman, alias S. Morgenstern
Len Parker

PostPosted: Fri 05 Apr, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Click on Photo at top. He's got every medieval and armouring book you could want.
Len Parker

PostPosted: Fri 05 Apr, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Suton Hoo p.31,32
Knightly armour in the age of the Black Prince p.51
Ian Peirce-Swords of the viking age p.52
Valsgard 6 and 8 p.55
Roman art of war p.55
Jan Petersen- DeNorske Vikingsverd p.67
TOMAR p.68
And a whole lot more!
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Fri 05 Apr, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It took some digging, but I found both volumes downloadable as PDFs last year... Can't recall for the life of me where they wound up being available; definitely one of those funky click-stream-download sites, though.

-Gregory
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 06 Apr, 2013 3:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gregory J. Liebau wrote:
It took some digging, but I found both volumes downloadable as PDFs last year... Can't recall for the life of me where they wound up being available; definitely one of those funky click-stream-download sites, though.

-Gregory

I somehow managed to find Williams' Knight and the blast furnace that way. Big Grin
Ralph Grinly

PostPosted: Sun 07 Apr, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now this is a great resource..and obviously a work of love. 70 plus pages of assorted book and journals, all shown completely, every page of every book posted as a seperate .jpg picture. A grand total of several thousand pages Happy I just wish I could read russian..as many of the titles are of russian origon, and I'm sure must contain much useful information that we in the West rarely have access to. Top marks for posting this. I can see it's going to take me a loooong time to work my way through these Happy
Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 09 Apr, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Dan.
I've read it before of course, but it's great that you found this link so more of the forumites can enjoy Thordemans work.

I just found part 2 of Thordemans work on the Battle of Wisby on the same site: http://michael-engel.io.ua/album331513
This book is printed 1940 and so doesn't retain copyright. Watch out with a lot of the other stuff though.

( EDITED the post because... See Chads insightful comment below/ Johan )

Yes Ralph, most are russian but some aren't.
I found Talhoffer, Albrecht Durer, and Paulus Kal manuals, and others. These also have no valid copyright unless they are part of a modern work translating or interpreting them.

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge

Last edited by Johan Gemvik on Tue 09 Apr, 2013 10:47 am; edited 3 times in total
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 09 Apr, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some (many?) of these works are still covered by copyright protections and this kind of use and distribution violates those rights. It takes money out of authors' (and publisher's) pockets. It's the same as illegal downloads of music. You're getting someone else's work without paying for it.

So please consider that when sharing these things and downloading them.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 09 Apr, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Some (many?) of these works are still covered by copyright protections and this kind of use and distribution violates those rights. It takes money out of authors' (and publisher's) pockets. It's the same as illegal downloads of music. You're getting someone else's work without paying for it.

So please consider that when sharing these things and downloading them.

Absolutely right! I was like a little boy in a candystore with no management around but that is a sobering thought, those who put their lifes work into these books should have some compensation.
The same reason I subscribe to HBO and Netflix instead of illegaly downloading my Game of Thrones and other series.

For some stuff like this you can subscribe to http://www.questia.com which has things like "The Knight and the Blast Furnace" by Prof Alan Williams, but not this kind of coverage. Does anyone know of another subscription that would have something like this? I'd be very interested.

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Tue 09 Apr, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As an author I agree with Chad's sentiments both from an ethical and legal perspective. However, I bought a used copy of Dr Williams' book because I couldn't find a new one. Neither he nor the publisher would have received a cent from that sale.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 09 Apr, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
As an author I agree with Chad's sentiments both from an ethical and legal perspective. However, I bought a used copy of Dr Williams' book because I couldn't find a new one. Neither he nor the publisher would have received a cent from that sale.

Used sales are a different animal.

I'm not trying to turn this thread into a discussion of intellectual property rights. That's off-topic and won't get us anywhere as we aren't a legislative or enforcement body.

People, as always, are free to do what they are comfortable with. I simply wanted to point out that one man's "work of love" may be another man's loss of income. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Tue 09 Apr, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Considering Thordeman's book was published once, by a now defunct publisher, and is now almost exclusively available used (i.e. a majority of the expected original sales have been made) for insane amounts of money... I don't really have an issue with downloading this book at all.

For other books, under different circumstances, I may be more scrupulous.

-Gregory
Roland Warzecha

PostPosted: Mon 22 Apr, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This website hosts other unauthorized digitized works, like Jan Kohlmorgen's book on medieval triangle shields. Such works are for a niche market in the first place, nobody is going to make a fortune on them, they are purely driven by the makers' enthusiasm, just like the DVD on buckler combat I made two years ago.

Websites like this are ultimately the gravedigger of any such future projects. I strongly despise creeps who are being generous at other people's expense.

I would appreciate if this thread was erased.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Mon 22 Apr, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I posted a link to Thordeman's book and only Thordeman's book for the reasons that Greg outlined above. If there are other books on that site from which the author still derives royalties then leave them alone and buy the book. We want people to keep writing books like this.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Thordeman's book online
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic