Surviving 14th century arming garment?
I was reading a recent article on the Sutton Hoo should clasps, and came across this:
"a 14th century gambeson, now in Munich, which was fastened with hinged metal fittings on the shoulder straps." The reference for this was: P. Post, "Ein Panzerfragment aus der Fruhzeit der Brigantine', Zeitschrift fur Historische Waffen-und Kostumekunde, n.f. 8/9 (1943), 225-39, abb.7.
Any ideas on what this really is/was?
Mark
Not familiar with that one, Mark, though I'm super curious now; have you seen this one (Spanish from c.1385)?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39465793@N05/set...331135867/

Chris
Arming garments
That's a good set of pictures of Dom Joao's coat armour. I don't think he would have been too happy being called Spanish- he was Portuguese:)
Oh no! Of course he was. I blame late nights online ....
There is one (or two?) from Lübeck. Can´t find the link. Anyone who has a link?
lubeck garment
The Lubeck garment is hundreds of years later than the 14th C.
A hundred years later, not quite hundreds. It is from the 1470s or so from the last description up I though.

He for sure would not like being called Spanish....

RPM
Re: Surviving 14th century arming garment?
Mark Shier wrote:
I was reading a recent article on the Sutton Hoo should clasps, and came across this:
"a 14th century gambeson, now in Munich, which was fastened with hinged metal fittings on the shoulder straps." The reference for this was: P. Post, "Ein Panzerfragment aus der Fruhzeit der Brigantine', Zeitschrift fur Historische Waffen-und Kostumekunde, n.f. 8/9 (1943), 225-39, abb.7.
Any ideas on what this really is/was?
Mark

Maybe it was lost during WW2? I would sure like to know about this garment!
My understanding is that this is a mis-translation, and this was actually an armour, a COP or a brigandine, *not* a gambeson. I'll check for references.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: