Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Baskethilt info sought Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Patrick Jones

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 24 Nov, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Baskethilt info sought         Reply with quote

Salutations gentlefolk!

Laughing Out Loud At last, I'm the proud possesor of a Scottish baskethilt (thank you Chris Goerner! Big Grin ), and it's Armourclass' "Glasgow" pattern. What I need is a reference to a source that can explain what the "Glasgow" pattern is. You know, what characteristics of this pattern of hilt define it as the "Glasgow" hilt style, and not some other hilt pattern. I appreciate any info you can throw at me.

Cheers!

Pat
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Thu 25 Nov, 2004 5:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick,

Mac is the man you need to ask. I believe that the "Glasgow" hilt is defined as having flat ribbon bars as oppossed to the rounded bars of say a "Stirling" hilt. these names derive from where the hilts were original made also.

I only got to handle your sword once while still in Chris' possession, but it left one heck of an impression.....hey...I made a rhyme......

Cheers,
Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 25 Nov, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Goodwin wrote:
Patrick,

Mac is the man you need to ask. I believe that the "Glasgow" hilt is defined as having flat ribbon bars as oppossed to the rounded bars of say a "Stirling" hilt. these names derive from where the hilts were original made also.

I only got to handle your sword once while still in Chris' possession, but it left one heck of an impression.....hey...I made a rhyme......

Cheers,
Bill

This is a bit off topic, but maybe not much -
I would like a pointer to (or someone to write) a tutorial on Scottish weapon development. Specifically, how and possibly why the Scots swords (and other stuff, but primarily swords) diverged from what seems to be a pretty coherent style in the rest of medieval / renaissance Europe. From what I have picked up in bits and pieces, the one handed swords with the down sloping guard developed into the two handed Claymore around the end of the 15th century, and then at some point we get these cool basket hilted swords ...

It would be very interesting to see a timeline of Scottish sword development - probably one exists - maybe even here somewhere?

Gordon Clark
Allen W

PostPosted: Thu 25 Nov, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not to highjack the topic much further but in response to Gordon's post I think we can look to nordic influences in the development of the Scottish medieval sword and two-handed claymore. There is a late Viking era sword from Norway with a small five-lobed pommel similar to Albion's Caithness with a long guard curving towards the blade in a deep "U". Del Tin, MRL, and Raven Armoury have all made reproductions of this sword which I believe either inspired or co-evolved with the Scottish medieval sword and its forward swept guard.

Similarly many Claymores can be seen as simply great swords or war swords with exceptionally long grips. The Svante sword bears similar proportions and the virtual museum at Bjorn's site have similar examples of long hilted though otherwise conventional war swords from Sweden and Norway. These when combined with the fact that Scotland was ruled by Norway from about the eleventh to mid-thirteenth centuries and remained within its sphere of influence for some time both before and after suggest a strong cross cultural influence and in my mind lend credibility to the tales of particularly large swords being wielded by William Wallace and Robert the Bruce (I picture these as being of exceptional overall length but of normal blade length for a war sword).

Regarding Highland basket-hilts,though I haven't studied them in any depth, they appear to be logical evolutions of the classic English/Lowland hilts which, like morts, seem rather distinct from their continental equivalents.
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 26 Nov, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The two famous "schools" of Scottish baskethilt making were Glasgow and Stirling.

The Glasgow baskets look has been defined as that of the work of John Simpson Sr.
(admitted freeman of the Incorporation of Hammerman of Glasgow in 1683), his son John Jr. (1711) , Thomas Gemmill (1716),
Robert Craig (1720), etc!

Simpson's baskets were noted for their wide flat bars (usually fluted) elaborately decorated ,scalloped & pierced .

Here is an example of a John Simpson basket ....

* Photo: Park Lane Arms Fair catalogue

Stirling baskethilts, as William noted, were characterized by the narrower rounded bars !
Confusion starts, though, when we see examples of Stirling made hilts in the Glasgow style, and vise-vera !

John Allan Sr. (1711), the famous Stirling hammerman, was booked as a Journeyman to Simpson, in Glasgow, in 1702 .
Allan, having learned these design stylings, incorporated much of them into his work, and most certainly taught his famous son Walter (1732) how to use them as well !

Here is an example of the Stirling 'round bar' style, by John Allan Sr. .....

* Photo: Park Lane Arms Fair catalogue

Next is an example of a Stirling made basket which incorporates the "Glasgow" design features into it.
This is by Walter Allan of Stirling !

*Photo: Ron Luciano

Later Regimental 'sheet steel' baskets ( by Drury & Jefferies ,of England) were considered to be in the Glasgow style, but they were a far cry from that glorious look made famous by John Simpson & Co. !

Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
E.B. Erickson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 26 Nov, 2004 6:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For a general timeline and discussion for Scots baskets, see p.175-182 in Oakeshott's "European Weapons and Armour". If this is supplemented with Blair's article on the early English baskethilts in "Scottish Weapons and Fortifications", you'll have a pretty good picture of the development of these hilt types.

As an aside, there has been some emerging evidence that may show the Glasgow hilt style may have been fully developed by about the middle of the 1600s. Thomas MacDonald has the complete article that outlines this evidence, and it's entitled "Observations on the Dating of Scottish Basket Hilted Swords", by C.R. Rolland. Usually the Glasgow style is dated in the early-mid 1700s, but some additonal data for an earlier date is the first basket pictured in "Culloden The Sword and the Sorrows", which is a Glasgow basket dated ca.1690.

--ElJay
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 26 Nov, 2004 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If anyone is interested in reading the article Eljay mentioned just drop me an e-mail, mac@myArmoury.com, and I will send it on to you ! ( there are 6 pages, so expect 6 seperate file attachments).

Slàinte, Mac

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Fri 26 Nov, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Where does the Edinburgh hilts end up in the midst of all this..?

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
Patrick Jones

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 26 Nov, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: thanks!         Reply with quote

Big Grin Thanks, gentlemen! Now I have a better idea of what constitutes the 'Glasgow' pattern. As always, you folk are a trove of knowledge!
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 26 Nov, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Henrik Bjoern Boegh wrote:
Where does the Edinburgh hilts end up in the midst of all this..?
Cheers, Henrik

Hi Henrik

I think Edinburgh produced some wonderful pieces, and I've no doubt that all the towns drew inspiration from each other, as well as their English counterparts ! Mac

Edinburgh baskethilts

* Photo's - Richard Bezdek's, "Swords & Swordmakers of England & Scotland", 2003.

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
E.B. Erickson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Henrik,
Awhile back a month or so Chris Goerner started a thread on the Edinburgh basket style. Try it in the search engine or just flip back through the pages of this section of myArmoury.

--ElJay
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a link to the thread Eljay mentioned ! Mac
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...askethilts

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Baskethilt info sought
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic