Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New guy looking for advice Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Clive P

PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: New guy looking for advice         Reply with quote

Hi,
I just joined the forum and I'm looking for advice on where to buy proper swords in the UK. I used to collect German Edged weapons for many years. Family finances made me sell a large portion of this collection some years back. Its time for me to change direction and move into an area that has always interested me and that's why I'm here.

To date I have found southern swords so far and have put an order in for one of their Darksword swords. Hopefully this is not a bad start to my newly found hobby and the seller is reputable! I would be grateful if people could advise me where I can purchase proper pieces and what manufacturers I should be looking out for. Historical accuracy is not a major concern for me at this point in time (although it would be nice to know where I could obtain pieces of this quality). The quality of construction is more important to me. I want a sword that is the real deal and not a wall hanger.

Hope some of you can guide me on to the right path in my early stages. Thanks.

Clive
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you could post a budget that would be helpful. I'll also be the first to mention its cheaper in the long run to save up for top of the line kit from the get go. I wish I had listened to that advice when I started with this hobby.

Caugh *AlbionEurope* Caugh Wink

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
Clive P

PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for reply. Budget? Hmmm a very good point. I guess anywhere from £150 to £1000 depending on the piece..
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well actually Albion Europe would be where I would start.

http://www.albion-europe.com/

There is a lot to look through, but I would start by checking out the Squire Line and Next Gen lines.

The next generation has an offering from (I believe) every Oakshott category. Most are composites of artifacts researched by Peter Johnsson. A few, like the Munich, are based on a single sword. Peter has handled MANY antiques and recorded their dimensions, weights, and harmonics. I mean he takes a micrometer and records the distal taper down the length of the blade. The swords have the correct shape in a three dimensional way that most production swords do not. That line of swords begin around EUR 800.00

The Squire line starts around EUR 500.00 and they are an excellent option also. They are built from the same blade blank as certain Next Gen swords, but not finished quite as finely. They are constructed just same but the edges aren't blended in, and they don't texture the grips with a twine over wrap. They can come sharp or blunt at your request.

I have a Next Gen. Fiore and I couldn't be happier with it. What time period are you interested in? A certain nationality? Are you interested in historic European fencing? Viking weapons? A big claymore? This will help narrow your search further.

Being from the USA, I haven't researched into European Manufactures, but I know they are out there, perhaps someone with more knowledge could chime in?

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Mon 25 Mar, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My first mediaeval sword was a Darksword Armory sword - I believe that like me, when you have it in your hands you'll decide that you can and will do better with the next one......
P. Cha

PostPosted: Mon 25 Mar, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If your looking for build quality...yeah DSA isn't exactly what you are looking for. Most of the DSA I have seen had huge gaps everywhere. This doesn't actually make then structurally unsound mind you. They can take a pretty large amount of abuse. The old 2mm edge ones were great as stage swords because of this. However as a functional sword...the blade geometry is all sorts of wrong for it to be a functional sword. Even their newer, better balanced, has distal taper swords are still of the wrong blade geometry to make a functional sword.

Now for European market...well there is Albion Europe as mentioned. There is del tin in Italy. Armor Class is in the UK. Above your budget, but in case you wanna check them out, there is raven armoury in the UK who make some pretty interesting stuff and tod's stuff who also makes some pretty nice stuff as well. Tod's stuff has a budget line of knives called the English Cutler which might be worthwhile for you to check out anyways. They are pretty well worth the price.
Clive P

PostPosted: Mon 25 Mar, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks all for taking time to respond. I will check out the names you all given me.
I assume buying from the EU does not mean I'm going to get hit with import duty?
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Mon 25 Mar, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello fellow UK sword collector. I can say that Mark Vickers at St George Armoury makes beautiful swords. His armour is great, his swords are even better.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New guy looking for advice
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic