Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Looking for a sparring partner in my area...no luck so far Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Rich Knack

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 27 Dec, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Looking for a sparring partner in my area...no luck so far         Reply with quote

It's a bit frustrating, having swords (and other assorted nasties), and not knowing how to use them correctly. It's sort of akin to collecting classic cars, but not knowing how to drive them!

I live in the north-western corner of Michigan's lower peninsula, and there aren't any WMA groups near me that I am aware of. Heck, even Asian martial arts are very limited in their variety (the most prevalent in my area seem to be Judo, hapkido, and kuk sool won).

Are there any fellow forum members in the Charlevoix/Petoskey area who are familiar with western martial arts, who might be able to help me out? There's only so much one can learn solo from a manual. I am especially interested in sword-and buckler, and polearms (halberd, specifically). NOT really interested in rapier/smallsword.

"Those who 'beat their swords into plows', will plow for those who don't."
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 27 Dec, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rich,
Here was a helpful reply to a similar request:

Sean Manning wrote:
Have you checked the HEMA Alliance Group Finder http://www.communitywalk.com/user/view/81443 or the Great Big Global Hema Census http://www.hroarr.com/survey/worldwide/practitioners/ ? Those seem to be the best two group finders for North America.

Have you checked those two places?

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Matthew Harrington

PostPosted: Thu 27 Dec, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a sparring partner in my area...no luck so         Reply with quote

Rich Knack wrote:
It's a bit frustrating, having swords (and other assorted nasties), and not knowing how to use them correctly. It's sort of akin to collecting classic cars, but not knowing how to drive them!

I live in the north-western corner of Michigan's lower peninsula, and there aren't any WMA groups near me that I am aware of. Heck, even Asian martial arts are very limited in their variety (the most prevalent in my area seem to be Judo, hapkido, and kuk sool won).

Are there any fellow forum members in the Charlevoix/Petoskey area who are familiar with western martial arts, who might be able to help me out? There's only so much one can learn solo from a manual. I am especially interested in sword-and buckler, and polearms (halberd, specifically). NOT really interested in rapier/smallsword.

I'm in the Ann Arbor/Brighton Area, a bit too far for us too meet regulary, but I do viking re-enactments and such, and if I'm ever up there (some family lives in Traverse City) or if you're ever down near here shoot me a pm and if I'm up near you I'll do the same. May we meet some day friend! Big Grin

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Looking for a sparring partner in my area...no luck so far
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic