Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Steel Mace Opinion Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ken Knightsnke

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Steel Mace Opinion         Reply with quote

I found a beautiful Steel Mace made from the Czech Republic from this site.

http://www.outfit4events.com/mace-from-steel-p-3399.html

My concern is the mace is 52cm or about 20.5 inches and I was wondering if that is too short for a mace. Most maces I've looked up that are for sale are over 24 inches. I'm just looking for some opinions if I should ask them to make it longer. Thanks all.
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's in the historical range, and in the historical range for maces hafted like this (with the kind of grip-and-guard). It's at the short end of the spectrum for European steel maces, but it sits on the historical spectrum.

Shortest mace I've seen was 10"/25cm long. (Chinese, all steel). How short is too short?

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From the photo it looks too heavy but there's no way to know without asking. If it weighed more than 3.5 lbs I wouldn't touch it. If you are using it on foot I'd stick with one that is closer to 3 lbs.
Ken Knightsnke

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: reply         Reply with quote

The mace is exactly 3lbs. Thanks for the answers. Yes I'd use it on foot if anything. I was thinking having them make it 4 inches longer, but I'm wondering if that would make the mace look not proportional. Any comments?
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Or you could go for the Gothic Mace made by A&A ?

http://www.arms-n-armor.com/pole193.html

Or the Spikes mace which is closer to 24" but of a different style:

http://www.arms-n-armor.com/pole004.html

Don't know if you where already aware about these so I posted the links just in case

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Ken Knightsnke

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: hey         Reply with quote

thanks, they are very nice, but there's something about this mace I really like. Maybe because I am half Slovikian. Who knows for sure lol. I'm just thinking 20 inches is a little short, 24in 2 feet sounds like a solid number!! Happy
Ken Knightsnke

PostPosted: Tue 25 Dec, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: hey         Reply with quote

So what should I do, let them make it the size it already is, or go for 4 inches longer? merry xmas everyone!
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 26 Dec, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Make it longer.
Phil D.

Reading list: 56 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 Dec, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Making it longer will also put the weighted end further from the hand.The handling may not be so ideal.
"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."
Ken Knightsnke

PostPosted: Wed 26 Dec, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: reply         Reply with quote

thanks for the reply, I was considering the added length causing that problem. 20.5 inches just seems a little short. I'm a big guy and I could probably handle a longer mace. I wish I could see one in person before buying. I'm ordering mine from outfit4events.com. Very good pricing. Stay away from bytheswordinc.com they double the price on all their maces, who knows what else, and their customer service is horrible. I asked for further details about the mace and they copy paste the exact description from their site. If your going to overprice something at least provide some kick ass customer service.
So I got 1 vote for longer, 1 vote for stay the same. I want one more vote lol. Thanks all.
Timo Nieminen

PostPosted: Wed 26 Dec, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The as-advertised length is historical, at the short end of the range for such maces. Longer would be fine, from a historical perspective.

Which do you prefer? Which do you prefer! That's what matters!

What do you want to do with it? If you want a "typical" mace of the type: since most were longer, go for longer. If you want a nice-handling mace, go for length-as-is.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Steel Mace Opinion
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic