Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What's On Your List for 2013? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: What's On Your List for 2013?         Reply with quote

What kind of arms and armour are on your list for next year? What will you definitely be getting, maybe getting, or would just like to get sometime in 2013?

For years a Neil Burridge bronze sword was on my list, but I never ordered it, so I'd better drop the idea. I might give in to some impulse buys during the year, but there is only one definite acquisition planned. That is another custom sword from Arms and Armor, a re-creation of an Alexandrian Arsenal sword I came across in an article by Clive Thomas in the 2008 Park Fair catalogue - a type XXa made around 1400. It is a very interesting and complex sword, and I really look forward to seeing how it comes out.

Attachment: 89.52 KB
alex3s.jpg
From the 2008 Park Lane Arms Fair Catalogue
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very maybe-ish at this point but perhaps:

Sallet or archer's celata
Mail standard/collar
Rondel dagger and sheath

Best guess not much else going to fit within the budget.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

1) A project with Robert MoC for an iron inlaid type X.

2) I have a slot with DBK to make a scabbard for the Pikula type U I acquired from Tim Lison.

3) A nasal helm project with Royal Oak Armory

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For the beginning, I should very soon have a custom two hander by Alojz Krišto based on this Swiss original from 16th century, but probably with added parrierhaken:

I also hope to get a riveted mail for my reenactment kit to replace the butted one I made myself. There will probably be more stuff this year, but it's too early to plan too far...
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A type M axe with Jim Austin.
Vladimir R.

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

2013. is going to be very active year for me. I need to finish my soft kit (DIY) for starters, after that :
As for arms and armour this is what expects me:
1. My bascinet is getting finished
2. Ordering Churburg S14 breastplate, Charles VI arms and gauntlets, Metropolitan legs.
3. Making an almond shaped shield or jousting targe (DIY)
4. Ordering a sword, oakeshott XIV
5. Making a sword girdle (DIY)

Distant plans, tent, wooden chest, chair, cutlery ... a lot of work, and then some !

Last edited by Vladimir R. on Sun 23 Dec, 2012 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Aaron Hoard

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From A&A, I'll probably get a Viking Spear or 12th Century Spear. An English Bill could also be on the list.

I'd like to add another Albion to my collection - probably a Norman or Reeve.

I may also get a helmet from Royal Oak Armoury.
Augusto Boer Bront
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My new bascinet will be finished in 2013.
Maybe I'll buy new spring steel arms.
I have to buy a pair of hourglass gauntlets, I really do.
I have to finish my leg harness (maybe I can do it myself, who knows).
Hopefully I'l be able to finish my CoP before the 6th of Jan.

Armourer-Artist-Blacksmith
www.magisterarmorum.com

Pinterest albums to almost all existing XIVth century armour.

Pinterest albums on almost all existing XVth century Italian armour.
Ben Coomer

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm trying to decide between an Albion Yeoman or a Crecy. Decisions, decisions...
Nathan Smith

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

250lb Crossbow,
Klapsvisor and Southern German gamberson from Jolly Knight
Küssnacht type coat of plates and Splint Arms from Piotr Zacharski
DIY Bill,
full outfit 14thC style from Historic Enterprises

OH, and a BOTN Referee outfit as well
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What's On Your List for 2013?         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
there is only one definite acquisition planned. That is another custom sword from Arms and Armor, a re-creation of an Alexandrian Arsenal sword I came across in an article by Clive Thomas in the 2008 Park Fair catalogue - a type XXa made around 1400. It is a very interesting and complex sword, and I really look forward to seeing how it comes out.

Excellent choice, I look forward to seeing that one. Seems to be in the same ballpark as the new Albion Museum Line piece. A bit early for you, no?

I also have another commission going with A&A, a moderately large multi-fuller XIIIb based on some Eastern European finds.

Trying to avoid the impulse buys this year, but I could be tempted if an opportunity for a good buy or trade on an Albion Vigil or St. Maurice comes up.
Scott Woodruff

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger and J.D. I am really looking forward to seeing your completed swords. That XX looks like it has the sort of handling characteristics I really like. I would love to find out more about the E European XIIIb's, I do not remember ever seeing pics of or reading about any.

I have another Albion XVI bare blade on my list, I loved the first so much I just have to get one or two or three more!
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Of course all subject to available funds......
1st choice - Albion Caithness
2nd choice - Armor Class Highland Hand and a Half
more likely choice..... Gen 2 10th Century Scramseax Knife
Also looking at a couple of Bollack daggers
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Upgrades!         Reply with quote

1) Finally lose enough weight to be able to purchase "off-the-rack" Ren Faire garb.

2) Finally find a girlfriend who might share at least one of my sword-related hobbies.

3) I saw THIS on Therion's website and decided that it would be a great fit for "swashbuckler" type costumes for Pirate Weekend. Note to the SCA guys and period purists-- I just want to look good and have fun, I'm not a stickler for period accuracy (and neither is my bank account!). The combination of ray skin grip, turk's head knots, and a mortuary hilt with a perforated mesh reminiscent of a Pappenheimer rapier makes this sword look really cool to my eyes.

While I don't have the funds for a new sword, I really would like to get my two current blades upgraded.

4) I want to get a Templar-themed scabbard and belt for my brown-gripped Albion Stamford. Yes, I know that the shorter cross and tea cozy pommel are a bit of a stretch for the early 12th Century, but I figure it wouldn't be inconceivable, as William of Normandy is illustrated with such a configuration in the Bayeaux Tapestry just 50 years earlier...

Edit-- Bleh, I did it again-- I keep forgetting the order wasn't founded until 1120 (which was after the First Crusade). Nevertheless, 50 years is a drop in the bucket when it pertains to the development of the sword...

5) I want to have my old ATrim Northern Italian Bastard Sword worked-on. Long-term storage hasn't been kind to it, but the blade is still in fairly-decent shape (albeit a little rusty) and I would like to have it re-hilted and get a scabbard while I'm at it. I'm definitely thinking sculpted grip and "fishtail" pommel. If you guys know someone who can re-hilt an old ATrim blade, I'm all ears.

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire

Last edited by Jeremiah Swanger on Tue 25 Dec, 2012 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not a lot of new swords planned for 2013 for me. I have a few commissions that are ordered and paid that will be ready in 2013 including one from A&A, one from Robert Moc, and a secret surprise one. I am up in Patrick Barta's queue again so will obviously get something there. Haven't decided on what though. Will likely get a silver inlayed type Xa from Jeff Helmes when my spot comes up in his queue around summer time. I am up in Robert Moc's queue again around October so I'll get something there too. So, only 3 new ones for me this year.
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
Not a lot of new swords planned for 2013 for me. I have a few commissions that are ordered and paid that will be ready in 2013 including one from A&A, one from Robert Moc, and a secret surprise one. I am up in Patrick Barta's queue again so will obviously get something there. Haven't decided on what though. Will likely get a silver inlayed type Xa from Jeff Helmes when my spot comes up in his queue around summer time. I am up in Robert Moc's queue again around October so I'll get something there too. So, only 3 new ones for me this year.

Wait... A&A, Moc, your "surprise" Wink , Barta, Helmes, and potentially a second Moc?

Your definition of the "only 3" must be different than mine.. Razz

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 24 Dec, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Currently have an Verrimus from Longship (John Lundemo) on order.

Have an Albion Burgundian that should arrive early 2013.

Also have a sword on order from Cedarlore Forge that should be made in later 2013. This will be a long blade but the concept picture makes it look short.

Material: Mono-Steel
Blade Length: 36-38
Blade width: 2.2
Grip Length: 7.5

The hilt out of carved wrought iron and the grip made from antler.

Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 24 Dec, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:
Tim Lison wrote:

Wait... A&A, Moc, your "surprise" Wink , Barta, Helmes, and potentially a second Moc?

Your definition of the "only 3" must be different than mine.. Razz

Well, only 3 that I commission this year. I will only receive the other 3... Wink
J. Hargis

PostPosted: Mon 24 Dec, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Subject to change, of course, but an A & A German Bastard Sword is currently at the top of my list. What's not to like?

Jon

A poorly maintained weapon is likely to belong to an unsafe and careless fighter.
William M

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 24 Dec, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ohhh well I would really like to have my first Albion next gen sword. They are really expensive buying outside of the states so I think I can only really have one.

So I am thinking that I would probably prefer a single hander as I don't have much experience with longswords apart from training shinai I used in WMA.

Probably top of the list is the Albion Knight, which seems to have excellent handling from the reviews I have read about the sword. I think I certainly would like a single hander, which has fast recovery and not much wind up.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What's On Your List for 2013?
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: