Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Considering a frivolus purchase Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Tim Mathews

PostPosted: Wed 28 Nov, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Considering a frivolus purchase         Reply with quote

Greetings all ,
I am considering picking up MRL`s version of the Father`s sword from the original Conan movie ... Simply because I loved those stories growing up and that led me to REH`s historical fiction stuff which I liked even better ...
At any rate the description states that they are made by Windlass Steelcrafts so I am wondering if this community might be able to give me some feedback on this particular piece ...My collection is much more geared towards historical reproductions ... So I am a bit torn but the price seems reasonable.
I will look forward to your replies ...
Thanks very much !
Tim Mathews

Tim Mathews
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim,

I don't believe many people have picked this up yet as there have been no reviews thus far on the Sword Buyers' Guide forum as far as I know (a lot more reviews there than here, at least for the casual forumite like me-- more easily found anyway!).

However, reviews of the standard Conan sword have varied from "OK but needs improvement" with the first few-- biggest complaint was loose cord wrap on the hilt, to "Pretty good for the price" currently; there are like three or four reviews of that specific piece now.

Upon review of the index there, I find that I am mistaken and there is one review...

http://forum.sword-buyers-guide.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8003

Hope that helps.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aren't ALL A&A purchases really frivolous?!? That's how I see the thousands I have spent on this hobby. Big Grin
Tim Mathews

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Thanks         Reply with quote

Jeremy and jeffrey ,
Thanks for your replies ...
Perhaps frivolous was a poor choice of words ... I guess it is hard for me to buy a wallhanger when I have spent so much time and money on this hobby which has become a passion ...
But I do not consider what I do frivolous ... Slightly geekish ...
Thanks again !
Tim

Tim Mathews
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Even if you bought the Albion sword at three and a half grand you would be getting a 7.5 pound sword, so either way you aren't getting a weapon, but a movie prop. I'd say get it. You grow up with these movies, and as an adult you have the ability to hold a piece of childhood in your hand.

Here's a quick impression from SBG.
http://forum.sword-buyers-guide.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8003

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
Jack Savante

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Get it.

Forget the Albion one, unless you have cash to burn, it's just too much money. I doubt the difference is worth the extra 3k too.
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's a sword. Therefore it can't be a frivolous purchase Cool
Tim Mathews

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Conan Sword         Reply with quote

Matthew,Jack and Dan,
Thanks very much for your replies ... Matthew I liked what you said about holding a piece of my childhood in my hand ...
I think I will go ahead and purchase the sword ...
Merry Christmas to me.
Best
Tim

Tim Mathews
Tim Mathews

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Conan Father`s sword from MRL         Reply with quote

Happy Holidays to all,
Just wanted to complete the loop ... I ordered the sword and it showed up on Thursday ... The review got it correct " replicated cinematic history-and a boyhood obsession "
Not very useful but very cool looking ...
Thanks again for your input .
Tim Mathews

Tim Mathews
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Conan Father`s sword from MRL         Reply with quote

Tim Mathews wrote:
Happy Holidays to all,
Just wanted to complete the loop ... I ordered the sword and it showed up on Thursday ... The review got it correct " replicated cinematic history-and a boyhood obsession "
Not very useful but very cool looking ...
Thanks again for your input .
Tim Mathews

So keeping in mind that just the weight of the piece makes it a " fantasy piece " how well does it seem put together ?

The fittings actual bronze/brass or some sort of pot metal plated to look like bronze ? The steel I supposed to be heat treated to around 52 r.c. and probably up to the " adequate/pretty good " standards of most Windlass swords ?

Runes etched into the blade or some sort of paint or sticky decal ?

In any case at the price and as a movie prop walhanger it superficially looks pretty good in pics and I'm just asking questions not criticizing as I might be tempted myself to buy one of the " Conan " swords. Wink Big Grin Cool

( Note: Tried the link to the SBG review and all I get is a white blank screen ? )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Tim Mathews

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Conan Father`s sword from MRL         Reply with quote

Jean,
Thanks for your interest and inquiry ... I hope to get together with Craig Jonson next weekend and take a more discriminating look at the sword but at first glance it looks as though the runes on the blade are lightly etched ... The cross piece and pommel seem to be be cleanly cast but I am unsure of the metal ... For the price I find it hard to believe it is bronze ...It seems to be fairly tightly constructed - no looseness or rattle that I can detect .
Overall I am pleased with the sword ... for what it is ... I remember reading all the pre- release movie fanzine articles with pictures of the sword in the late 70`s and then seeing the film while I was in the US Marine Corps ...
At any rate I apologize for the delay in getting a reply to you and will try and get a more technical review after the first of the year.
Happy Holidays
Tim

Tim Mathews
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My complaint about this sword is that you're really only paying for the blade. Check out the casting quality and compare it to this unlicensed, $45 sword on Kult of Athena with a stainless blade. You'd think that Windlass would have tried to make better fittings than the knock-off competition, but no... The details are even less fine. Even the grip wrap is nearly indistinguishable, although I reckon the cheaper sword provides a lesser quality material.

Overall, it doesn't look like a bad sword at all for $265, but I would have expected them to be a bit considerate of what they're up against while designing their licensed reproductions, even at Windlass.

$45 dollar version.

Windlass version.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Considering a frivolus purchase
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic