Replica Vendel Helmet
My latest project was a helmet modeled on the 7th C. finds at Vendel and Valsgärde. Such a helmet would have been part of the splendid panoply of richly decorated arms, armour and fittings worn and used by the highest members of a powerful warrior elite. The helmet is enriched with decorative and figurative pressblech scenes of a mythological nature and is topped by a stylized boar crest, which may have been a talismanic reference to the golden boar of the Germanic war god Freyr.

Our version is based primarily on the Vendel 12 and Valsgärde 8 finds, with overall form and nasal shape following the former and with the crest, brow and mail based on the latter. Pressblech decoration is closely replicated from existing matrixes, though the order of application is arbitrary.

Skull and nasal are of 14 gauge steel, pressblech is of tinned copper, trim is brass and mail is flat 8mm riveted/solid from India. The helmet is lined in deerskin, and the chinstrap is fixed with a tiny version of an extant Vendel buckle. Mail is attached using the same system as the Valsgärde 8 helmet. Pressblech is of tinned copper.

Pricing, details and additional photos can be found on the Etsy listing.

-Hildebrandt

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
I've never much cared for the look of these kinds of helmets, but something about yours seems different. I like it. Quite a bit. Maybe I'll have to go back and re-evaluate my preferences.
What a masterpiece! You are truly a skillful artisan! I'd be proud to wear a helmet like that! I'm sure whoever it will belong to will cherish it dearly.
Nice job, Jeff. A lovely looking helmet.

Paul
I love all your helmet work... This piece is absolutely amazing! I am seriously considering trying to squeeze a simple Norman helm from you into my budget somewhere.

Fantastic job!
Impressive work Jeff :eek: Your stuff seems to just keep getting better and better. Well done.
I absolutely love the helmets of this period. Yours is an outstanding interpretation, thanks for sharing it.
Thank you all for the positive feedback. It was a pleasure to make, and I am glad I could share it.

The originals come from a fascinating period and attest to the complex trade networks of the time (I had difficulty acquiring all the requisite materials, even with the internet at my disposal), the skill of their makers, and the wealth and taste of the patrons who commissioned them. In my enthusiasm for the period, I am anxious to replicate a Merovingian spangenhelm and can offer a significant discount to anyone who would humour my whim by ordering one.

-Hildebrandt
Spangenhelm
Sent you an email re: spangenhelm. :)
Re: Spangenhelm
Mark Routledge wrote:
Sent you an email re: spangenhelm. :)

REALLY looking forward to seeing how this turns out :cool:
Wow, I absolutely love those helmets. Truly awesome work.
superb craftmanship! i've just updated my christmas wish list, i think santas gonna have to use the front door this year! :D

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: