Claidheamh da Laimh Books?
Most books on Scottish swords seem to gloss over the Claidheamh da Laimh and skip right to the basket hilts.

Can anyone recommend some books that cover the Claidheamh da Laimh in greater detail? I'm specifically looking for a book with images and measurements of different swords, particularly 17th century examples.

Thanks for the help!
Do we actually know that this is what they called their two-handers? I know that claidheamh da laimh is a logical term to use but does this word actually appear in any Scottish texts?
Good question Dan, I haven't seen it in any period lexts and don't use the term to describe highland longswords/two handers. Wallaces book on Scottish swords has some good pictures and descriptions of Claymores;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scottish-Swords-Dirks...amp;sr=8-1
Actually, I usually just call them two-handed Claymores. I used the term here to try to eliminate confusion and keep this thread from turning into another terminology discussion like every other thread about these swords. :lol:

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out.
I don't know of any text which uses the term claidheamh da laimh, but Claude Blair quoted it from Robert Armstrong's Gaelic Dictionary of 1825, in an article in the Journal of the Arms & Armour Society, Sept. 1998 (vol.XVI no.1). Nick Norman (late Master of the Royal Armouries) followed Blair in this usage, but both are now dead and cannot enlighten us any further as to the evidence.
Neil

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: