Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New Concept Art - The Alexandria Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 16 Jun, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: New Concept Art - The Alexandria         Reply with quote

We now have a concept sketch for the Alexandria XVIIIc and are taking advance reservations. The sword will retail for $1,250 USD, but is available for advance reservation until June 30th, 2010 for the special price of $950. Limited edition of 500 swords worldwide.

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jun, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New Concept Art - The Alexandria         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
We now have a concept sketch for the Alexandria XVIIIc and are taking advance reservations. The sword will retail for $1,250 USD, but is available for advance reservation until June 30th, 2010 for the special price of $950. Limited edition of 500 swords worldwide.

Best,

Howy

Yeah, I saw this sketch on Facebook today. Excellent sense of proportion, as usual. Very attractive.

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Markus Nußbaumer

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jun, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice surprise on a very early morning (5:40 am in Germany).
I do like the design, do like it a lot indeed. it looks very tempting.....

As I am a customer from Europe, will there be a special advance price for european customers as well?
Felix R.

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jun, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Markus Nußbaumer wrote:
Nice surprise on a very early morning (5:40 am in Germany).
I do like the design, do like it a lot indeed. it looks very tempting.....

As I am a customer from Europe, will there be a special advance price for european customers as well?

Same here, I am glad you came up with an alternative design to the Principe.

Yesterday it was more like "Oh, well this will be the Principe? Hmm, no, not really my design although the blade is fantastic."

But with the Alexandria. I can imagine my late 14th persona using such a sword.
P. Norton

Reading list: 12 books

Feedback score: 100%
(2 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 16 Jun, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Oh my God...         Reply with quote

Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Okay, that does it!

I'm calling you guys first thing tomorrow morning and reserving one of these. This concept drawing *really* speaks to me.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jun, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glad you like the Alexandria: thanks for kind words.
The Alexandria is intended to be a sword tat could belong to that group of swords that survived in the arsenal in Alexandria together with many other highly interesting swords. These type XVIIIc swords are special in that no other such swords have survived anywhere else. They form a tight knit family.

Clive Thomas has written several articles about the swords from the Alexandria arsenal in some issues of London Parks Lane Arms Fair catalogue. I have been greatly helped by his work on the subject as he presents some measurements of ten of these swords. I have documented one of them in the Royal Armouries in Leeds, but having access to data from several others makes it possible to verify some impressions and see outlines for the characteristics of these swords. Not two in this group are exactly alike, but they have several proportions proportions and dimensions in common.

Significant is the very wide blade, simple but elegant guard and a wheel pommel (Three versions of wheel pommels exist on these swords, but no other type of pommel). They also share the same grip length. In all cases but one the tang length is between 20.1% - 21.9% of blade length. The exception being a sword with shorter blade than the others, but still has a grip of the typical length of the rest in the group.

Having the blade of the Principe, it seemed a shame not to offer a sword that is completely faithful to those swords that inspired the project to begin with. They belong to the first quarter of the 15th C and are outstanding examples of the sword smiths art. There will be opportunity to return to these swords later on with more details on their origin and history.

Dimensions for our Alexandria are:

Blade length: 880 mm
Blade width: 79 mm
Complete length: about 1110 mm

I cannot present data on final weight yet. These are rather hefty swords of large dimensions, but the balance is very sweet and agile.
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How long between a concept drawing like this and actual production of the piece? I am very interested in this model and am trying to get a grasp of how long I would have to pay for it before it went into production to see if I could work it into my sword budget this year. Happy
J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jun, 2010 2:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is the blade thickness at the base going to be 4mm like the Leeds sword you documented Peter.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jun, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi again,
Production time: I will try my best to get the waxes carved without delay when I get the prototype blade. Working on one sword means putting another project aside for a few days. It is always a game of priorities. Seeing the interest for these swords, I will do my best so that they may be introduced on the market during autumn.

Blade thickness: It is slightly thicker at the base than the 4 mm of the original, around 5 mm. Because of the width of these blades even a thin blade is pretty stiff. The original swords varied somewhat in thickness. I have seen measurements between 4.0 and 5.5 mm (in Clive Thomas´ article).
P. Norton

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jun, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New Concept Art - The Alexandria         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
[...] The sword will retail for $1,250 USD, but is available for advance reservation until June 30th, 2010 for the special price of $950. [...]

I thought I'd bump this since today is June 30. (In case anyone planning on ordering one forgot about the deadline).
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jan, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter, is there any update on the progress of this sword?
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Any update on the progress of this piece? I don't see it on the Albion page yet for order. I am very, very interested at this point. Happy
J.E. Sarge
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bumping this to the top.
Winter is coming
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jan, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hmmm.... I still prefer the Principe.
P. Norton

PostPosted: Sun 11 Mar, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Are there any updates on the progress of this sword?
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A prototype blade has been revised for tweaked edge geometry. The original has a very keen edge, as in a sharpness formed on a thin edged body, and this example will be followed on the Albion Alexandria.

I am waiting for tang plugs for the Alexandria and the Principe, plus a new prototype blade for the Principe that has the refined edge geometry.

Both these swords will benefit from my research on principles for proportions of medieval swords, when I carve the waxes. This will happen shortly after I receive the tang plugs and the new prototype Principe blade.
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. I can't wait to see how this turns out. I am still trying to make up my mind which one I want, but seeing those waxes will definately help me decide. Happy
J.E. Sarge
www.crusadermonk.com

P. Norton

PostPosted: Tue 13 Mar, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the update, Peter.

I appreciate your efforts to make the end product the best it can be, even if doing so takes more time. I was already looking forward to seeing how well the Alexandria will cut, but now, hearing about the refined edge geometry, I'm even more excited. I'm also looking forward to seeing how these swords come together aesthetically now that you'll be applying your research on principles for proportions to them.

It sounds like both these swords will be something special. I'm really looking forward to receiving my Alexandria, now even more than I was before.
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Sat 24 Nov, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pommel eaxes now ip, good progress shots shpwing the wax weight. Grip looks shorter than Principe. Time to start saving, I much prefer the visual simplicity of this hilt to the Principe.
Paul B.G

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Watson wrote:
Pommel eaxes now ip, good progress shots shpwing the wax weight. Grip looks shorter than Principe. Time to start saving, I much prefer the visual simplicity of this hilt to the Principe.

Ok I might be off base with this, but looking at Albion’s Facebook page, Peter had completed the waxes for the Maximilian at the end of January 2012 (posted 19th Jan) and the Maximilian was available in April this year (posted 12th April). So fingers crossed if things go well we might see the completed Principe & Alexandria around March 2013? Just my assumptions & speculations sorry Wink might be a lot longer Wink

A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person

O====[::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Tho’ much is taken, much abides; and tho’
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

—Alfred Lord Tennyson, Ulysses

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New Concept Art - The Alexandria
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: