Late 14th Century Bascinet by Wild Armoury
Recently replaced my old bascinet with an updated and heat treated version. Made by Maxim Suprovich of Wild Armoury. It's based on a few unusual bascinets seen in late 14th century illuminated manuscripts. A few people seemed interested in the previous version, so I thought I would show off the (nearly) final product. A liner still needs to be attached to the helm and aventail.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
Looks great. Maxim does nice work, I see a lot of it advertised and reviewed over at the Armour Archive. Congratulations on a fine piece! If you ever intend to take it a step further, I'd suggest trying your hand at (or relying upon another's) engraving the brass band around its circumference, between the rosettes. Cheers!

- Gregory
Thanks for the kind words. I may have to give my hand a shot at engraving in the distant future.

Here's an outside shot I received today. Lookin' good.

[ Linked Image ]
wildarmoury bascinet
When I first saw this helm I had thought the ocularia was too wide and thought it looked "ok", but once I saw the newest pic of you wearing it, my whole view on that style has changed :D Now I WANT one!

-Reece
Re: wildarmoury bascinet
Reece Nelson wrote:
When I first saw this helm I had thought the ocularia was too wide and thought it looked "ok", but once I saw the newest pic of you wearing it, my whole view on that style has changed :D Now I WANT one!

-Reece

Thanks Reece. That's actually my armorer wearing the helm, but I'm glad you're so impressed all the same!
Do you happen to have the illuminations with dates and locations?
Tim Reeves wrote:
Do you happen to have the illuminations with dates and locations?

Robert hasn't posted to the forum for quite some time. His Custom Bascinet by Wild Armoury thread might get you started in the right direction.
Thank you so much Scott. That has opened up a world of info for me.
Very good looking helm Robert. I really like how the sharp lines of the visor contrast with the curves of the skull piece. Two questions:

Would you mind posting a close up picture of the inside of the leather liner, where the aventail attaches? Is the mail stitched against the leather with that white braided cord?

How is the aventail woven to spread out across the shoulders? With mine I started with a straight up-and-down cylinder of mail and then inserted wedges at front, rear and sides, but I'm curious if there's a better way.

Thanks
Sure turned out nice Robert! I have to say I really like seeing other helmet types that are still nice and period!

RPM
Hey there folks,

Sorry I've been absent so long. I'm still around, I've just come to a bit of a standstill on my kit progress for a bit due to a few other projects. I would be more than happy to provide some illuminated manuscripts and answer everyone's questions as soon as I get back on my home computer. Give the thread a look in a few days and I will update with the goods. Glad you all like it and thanks for the interest.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: