Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Show Us Your Knives or Eating Sets
How about a thread for historical knives, eating knives, and eating sets? :) These essential of items might have been far more common in the Middle Ages than swords and daggers, and probably saw more regular use for most people. So, let's see what people have.

Here's my medieval knife by Tod's Stuff:
[ Linked Image ]

A knife I used to own by Tod's Stuff that's moved on to another forumite's collection:
[ Linked Image ]

A&A's medieval knife, which has also moved on to another forumite:
[ Linked Image ]

A knife and pricker set that's moved on to another forumite:
[ Linked Image ]

Seems like I've sold more things than I've kept.... Collecting attention deficit disorder (CADD), I suppose... :)
Here is a simple eating set from Tod's other venture, The English Cutler along with a brass hanger that can be attached a belt. The thong from the scabbard then ties to the hanger making for a nice combination.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

Click images for full-sized photographs
Here is mine made by a friend named Magnus Jansson!
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
Re: Show us your knives or eating sets
Chad Arnow wrote:
Seems like I've sold more things than I've kept.... Collecting attention deficit disorder (CADD), I suppose... :)

You have Can't Hoard A Dagger (CHAD) syndrome.
Here's a better pic of my latest acquisition, a knife sold by Revival.us.

Attachment: 54.63 KB
knife2.jpg

These two photos might a bit off-topic, but somehow related to the question. So let's go...

First knife is not mine, but it's a true medieval knife from Louvre museum - Paris.
Second knife is a copy of ancient mongolian horsemen eating set. As far as I know, this already existed in very ancient times, there is no known starting date, and was still used in China up to mid XIX century.

Attachment: 32.88 KB
Louvre-Medieval-600-01.jpg

Attachment: 42.83 KB
trousse_mongolie_1A.jpg

Here is one I made a while back and just made new scabbard for.

Attachment: 152.87 KB
100_0200mini.JPG

Here is a better pic of my current three.

Attachment: 24.87 KB
knives.jpg

Attachment: 35.84 KB
knives2.jpg

Here's my latest, which is on its way from the UK to me as we speak. It's from Tod's Stuff. The blade is based on blade #73 from Knives and Scabbards, while the scabbard is based on scabbard #457 from Knives and Scabbards. Both date from the late 14th century. The handle is boxwood. The hilt plate, butt plate, peen black and decorative tubular rivets are made of brass.

Photos by Tod.

Attachment: 35.79 KB
knife1.jpg

Attachment: 48.88 KB
knife2.jpg

Beautiful work Chad and Tod!
Bryce Felperin wrote:
Beautiful work Chad and Tod!

It's all Tod. :) All I did was post his pictures of what he made. :cool:
In attempt to keep this thread going, how about some group shots?

Attachment: 35.27 KB
knives1.jpg

Attachment: 65.07 KB
knives2.jpg

Attachment: 57.55 KB
knives3.jpg

My latest: Inspired by 15th-16th century "copper-alloy-"gripped knives. By Tod's Stuff (of course). :)

Attachment: 46.46 KB
brass knife.jpg

Thanks for the business Chad.

Chad Arnow wrote
Quote:
My latest: Inspired by 15th-16th century "copper-alloy-"gripped knives. By Tod's Stuff (of course).

I will have to check my books, but I am pretty sure that this style of knife was very long lived and went from about 1250 to 1550 approx.

Tod
That's great Chad!

I love the uniqueness of this knife.

Congratulations, Tod, on another attractive piece.
Leo Todeschini wrote:
Thanks for the business Chad.

Chad Arnow wrote
Quote:
My latest: Inspired by 15th-16th century "copper-alloy-"gripped knives. By Tod's Stuff (of course).

I will have to check my books, but I am pretty sure that this style of knife was very long lived and went from about 1250 to 1550 approx.

Tod

Tod,
While brass/bronze/misc. copper alloy gripped knives were popular from 1250 on, I've seen a couple of examples with this open work dated to 1450-1550. I consider this design (though not all of them) to fit more into the 15th-16th window.

Regardless of date, I love it. :)
Another beauty for you, Chad! Great choice!

Here's my TS eating knife kit. Fun project!

Attachment: 201.9 KB
tod_819.gif

Attachment: 36.01 KB
387634_10150402445314387_614039386_8719841_1667722866_n_147.jpg

Bernard Delor wrote:

Second knife is a copy of ancient mongolian horsemen eating set. As far as I know, this already existed in very ancient times, there is no known starting date, and was still used in China up to mid XIX century.

Not just Mongolian, but also Chinese. Most of the old ones that one sees (and the new ones, too) are probably Chinese.

Since it was much more common for the diner to cut up a large cooked animal in Mongolia than in China, Mongolian ones could have very large knives. Attached are pictures of two of mine - one typical Chinese set, and what appears to be a Mongolian one.

The Mongolian knife is 233g (compared with 61g for the Chinese one).

More info on large Mongolian eating set/trousse knives at http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15960

Attachment: 52.63 KB
mongolian_trousse1a.jpg

Attachment: 80.39 KB
mongolian_trousse1b.jpg

Very cool knives fellas! I need to find one for my medieval kit. Thanks for the inspirations!
Timo, if I'm not wrong, your smaller Chinese set conceals a decorated ivory toothpick on front. While the Mongolian sets tend to be rather plain, Chinese sets can be sometimes extremely elaborated by means of making techniques, raw materials and tool components. Some conceal weapons - such as thrwoing daggers and forged steel chopsticks, made as stilettos. Several monthes ago I curated a Chinese arms exhibition and one of its major chapters includes about 30 different eating sets.

Attachment: 37.79 KB
DSCN6076.JPG
Chinese arms exhibition in Ramat-Gan: trousses
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Page 1 of 3

Jump to: