Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Bronze Axos Helm Replica Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jeffrey Hildebrandt
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Bronze Axos Helm Replica         Reply with quote

Bronze helm, based on the late 7th C. BC Cretan helm known as the 'Axos helm,' now held in Heraklion. A helm of similar date and origin can also be found in the Metropolitan Museum, New York.

As with the original, our version is constructed in three parts – two halves and a brow re-enforcement, assembled with rivets of folded bronze sheet. Each half bears a repousee Pegasus and decoratively chased borders, while the brow re-enforcement exhibits repousee rosettes and eyebrows which end in chased dragon heads. Made entirely from 18 gauge bronze.

The original helm retains attachments for a crest, which we have not yet attempted to replicate, but may as a future project. Any insight into Cretan crests of this era to suppliment my own research would be greatly appreciated, as well as information or scholarly speculation on possible lining materials.

This helm was made as a personal project rather than as a commission, but the model will now be available as part of our product line.

Questions and comments welcomed.

-Hildebrandt

Royal Oak Armoury

Royal Oak Armoury Website
Royal Oak Armoury Facebook
Jeffrey Faulk

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 12 Oct, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nicely done, sir!

My understanding is that many, if not almost all Grecian helms of this general period had nasal guards. Is the lack of same on this helm original, or was the original perhaps broken off as one imagines may have happened during the ages?

Either way, it looks very good, and I look forward to finding out about the nasal!
Jeffrey Hildebrandt
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 12 Oct, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually, the truncated nasal is a feature of Cretan helms from this era. There are also two helms of similar origin now housed in the Met, of which one exhibits the same trait, while the other is missing its brow re-enforcement. If you can find it, Herbert Hoffman's Early Cretan Armorers is a good source for further information on the subject.

Thanks for your interest!

-Hildebrandt

Matt Corbin

PostPosted: Fri 12 Oct, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love it!!!

“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Gregory J. Liebau

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 12 Oct, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeffrey,

Outstanding work. Your attention to detail on this piece is outstanding and Cretan helmets are in short supply. Very glad to see such a project come to fruition for an artisan - it seems to be playing with your freshest talents, of which I expect there's more to come. Congrats.

-Gregory
Jeffrey Hildebrandt
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 12 Oct, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Gregory. It will likely take some time to inspire enough confidence in customers to have them request work that pushes the limits of my abilities, so personal projects are important both for my development and for display. I have several other projects in the works that I am excited to finish and which I hope will be well received.

Thanks also to Matt, and Mr. Norris.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Bronze Axos Helm Replica
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic