Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question from Newbie Pete Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Pete W

PostPosted: Sat 15 Sep, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Question from Newbie Pete         Reply with quote

Hi all

I have a pair of old fencing foils (see attached pics) and I'm trying to find out their age and who made them.

The pic of the hilt shows a leather pad before the guard? does this mean that it was used to protect the hand when thrusting?

The only clue I have is that the blades are marked 'IN SOLINGEN' I know that Solingen would be the area in Germany where they were made but does the 'IN' have any significance.

I doubt if they have any value given their poor condition but i'd love to find out about their history.

Hoping that you experts out there can help.

Pete

Attachment: 32.31 KB
Picture 017.jpg

Attachment: 22.8 KB
Picture 016.jpg

Attachment: 22.49 KB
Picture 015.jpg

Scott Woodruff

PostPosted: Sat 15 Sep, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome, Pete. I can not help you with acertaining the origin of your foil but I will say it appears to be a very nice piece. I will be interested to learn what some of the more educated members will have to say about it.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 15 Sep, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I doubt it is possible to discover exactly who made it, most blades from Solingen were marked just with Solingen, or maybe In Solingen like yours. I think I have seen somewhere a "me fecit Solingen" mark but I don't think I have seen any names with Solingen mark.
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Sun 16 Sep, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very interesting swords...

Let me start by saying I'm not an expert by any means on this subject, but for what it's worth:

The letters seem engraved, not stamped. It has a certain pre-industrial revolution flavour to it, in my opinion. Interesting because I didn't know they made foils that early.

IN SOLINGEN simply means "(made) IN SOLINGEN". Although marks like these were often reproduced by other makers who did not come from, or work in, Solingen at all, but just wanted to benefit from a well-known "trademark". So your sword may be made in Solingen or you may have an old "fake" made somewhere else. If it was not actually made in Solingen, it still does not mean that it is somehow of inferior quality though. Just because someone put some generic brand cola in a Coca Cola bottle, that does not mean that it doesn't quench your thirst and it possibly tastes just as good.

The leather flap seems strange to me. It seems to prevent you from fingering the guard, which is more or less the point of this type of hilt.
Don Stanko

Reading list: 482 books

PostPosted: Sun 16 Sep, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Its an Italian grip fencing foil. That type of grip was popular in sport fencing during the early part of the 20th century. Today, you rarely see it. I would say your foil could have been produced in the first quarter of the 20th century. Now, if it has a sharp point or edge, it is not a sport fencing foil or it has been modified.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question from Newbie Pete
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic