Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sallet liner? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Rich Knack

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Sallet liner?         Reply with quote

Tried asking this in another thread; no answers so I thought I'd try again...

Now, I have a couple of questions:

1) Were all original sallets made with a lining? Or were some made to simply be used with an arming cap?

2) I can't quite tell from the photos (in the other thread), but how is the lining held on to the leather "ring" that is riveted to the inside of the helmet? Seems like it would be hard to sew it in place once the ring is riveted in, but what do I know?

I ask, because I have an open-faced sallet that came with a chin-strap, but no liner (it does, however, have rivets that make it look like there is a liner in place).

I don't know if I should bother with a liner, or just use a padded cap. It won't be used for SCA combat anyway, but I will be waring it to Renfests so comfort is an issue.

"Those who 'beat their swords into plows', will plow for those who don't."
Tom King

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have the same cheap deepeeka helmet sitting in my collection. It came with a white cotton arming cap correct? For wear, i actually put some bike helmet pads inside of it to give is a snugger fit. The helmet is built to look like it has a liner (rivets around the crown) but it would be more trouble than its worth to remove the rivets, make a liner, and then rivet it back together. Since it has a strap, just slap the white helmet liner in and wear it around the ren fair. It would be more useful of your time and money to simply upgrade the helmet when you feel like expanding your kit.

http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AH38...allet+Helm
(your current helmet)

A few suggestions
http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AB04...sor+Helmet
(I own this one and it is pretty good for a munitions grade piece. It looks really good with armor)
http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AB27...let+Helmet
http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=PRH3...her+Helmet
(For the light infantryman or archer. It is also better for walking around fair since it is a lighter gauge steel and will provide better visibility and such.)
Rich Knack

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sat 15 Sep, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks! Mine did not even come with an arming cap, so I will probably try to make one.
"Those who 'beat their swords into plows', will plow for those who don't."
Jeffrey Hildebrandt
Industry Professional

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 19 Sep, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The liner should be sewn to a leather band, which has been riveted into the helmet. It can be awkward, but a curved needle helps. It would certainly be easier to rivet the liner directly into the helmet, but resist the temptation - it is important that it be readily removable so that it can be washed or replaced.

Best of luck with your project, and if you have any more question, feel free to ask.

-Hildebrandt

Royal Oak Armoury Website
Royal Oak Armoury Facebook
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 20 Sep, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm all for DIY, but I don't see a way to bring that sallet into anything resembling historical specs. If you can sell that piece, I would advise doing so and considering this one instead: http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...her+Helmet

I have no experience with it, but the form, weight and price are surprisingly good. The lining band/rivets are properly positioned and the lining appears to be functional if not really historical. If that bothers you, just cut that leather liner back to leave just the band and stitch in a quilted linen liner. It's very large, though. Consider your headsize plus padded liner before buying.

Seems like you could save yourself a lot of trouble picking up this one and selling or writing-off the other.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Wed 26 Sep, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I gave one of those away for free and another sits in my garden upside down with flowers in. Unfortunately they are based on nothing that's real, sorry to say that.

The line of rivets that holds the leather band to sew a liner too is usually just above the ears, across the lower forehead. Anything higher and your liner is not going to give you much protection.
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Wed 26 Sep, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One thing that really is lacking is a place that makes the low end sallet of the 15th century. When I was at the RA last Thom Richardson and I were talking about these and we went to the stores and looked at a few of what were likely the more simple and likely fairly common sallet.

They more or less have simple rounded skulls and short, somewhat rounded tails.

Here is a side shot.

RPM

Attachment: 88.38 KB
simplesalleyweba.JPG

Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 27 Sep, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would LOVE for somebody to make the simple steel caps and light sallets, but everybody goes (badly) for the most complex pieces--visored sallets, armets, bellows, etc. It doesn't even make sense! You're not wearing an armet without full harness, and usually not a visored sallet solo, either. A light sallet or cap requires nothing but soft kit for a credible impression. The only "light" production sallet I know of that's of acceptable form is that new Deepeeka cited above, but it's HUGE and too deep for my tastes. Are there really that many NFL defensive linemen doing living history?
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Thu 27 Sep, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The one above has just too many changes needed to me but if I were to do it I'd cut several incvhes off the bottom while allowing some room for a new tail. The way it sets would have to be fixed as well.

RPM
Mark T

PostPosted: Thu 27 Sep, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rich, Sean, and all: not sure if it helps or is of interest, but there's a custom short-sallet-cum-proto-burgonet made by Stanislav Prosek for sale right now over at the Living History forum: http://www.livinghistory.co.uk/forums/viewtop...mp;t=31417
Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sallet liner?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic