Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Writing a web article for sword buyers Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Patrick Matherne

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Writing a web article for sword buyers         Reply with quote

Hi
I have a website and I am in the process of writing an article to help someone decide on if they want a replica sword, sparring sword, or battle ready sword (I am not sure if those are the best names for each)
Basically my article is going to be aimed at people who would not normally buy a sword, but are visiting a renaissance faire and get the impulse to buy one. I really do not want it to be a long article, or a technical article.

Ideally I do not want someone to guy buy a replica sword and expect to use it like they do in the movies. I have mentioned that the replica sword would not hold up well since there is no full tang and the metal is probably stamped stainless steal.

Lastly I was looking for good sources to refer people too for swords. I am only familiar with Zen Warrior right no (due to learning fencing). Replica swords are pretty easy to find. I would like 1 recommendation for a sparring sword.

Any help would be appreciated,
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 12 Sep, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As far as sparring swords go, I'm not sure what you are focusing on - Medieval or Renaissance? Price Range?

Here is a list of places where you can find good blunts for sparring/stage combat/re-encactment. some cost a lot more than others, but as they say, you get what you pay for.

Darkwood Armory - Mostly rapiers -

Baltimore Knife and Sword -

Arms and Armor - top stuff

Albion Maestros - more top stuff

Hanwei makes some OK blunts, that can be found many places on the internet. I particularly liked the Hanwei/Tinker blunts, but, unfortunately they have been discontinued. Here is one place that you can find Hanwei Practical blunts - Therion Arms - you can also find some at Kult of Athena

Edited to fix typos and bad addresses

Last edited by Roger Hooper on Wed 12 Sep, 2012 9:32 am; edited 2 times in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 12 Sep, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just spend time reading this site. All the information you need is right here. You will dispel much of the myths surrounding the subject, including many of the incorrect things you've posted here. Happy
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Marko Susimetsa

PostPosted: Thu 13 Sep, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Writing a web article for sword buyers         Reply with quote

Patrick Matherne wrote:
Ideally I do not want someone to guy buy a replica sword and expect to use it like they do in the movies. I have mentioned that the replica sword would not hold up well since there is no full tang and the metal is probably stamped stainless steal.

I just want to point out that 1) NO real sword is meant to be used the way swords are used in movies (not counting the one or two movies where they use swords correctly) and 2) using the word "replica" to refer to particular quality is rather misleading. You can have wonderful swords that are replicas of real historical swords (many swords made by Arms & Armor and Albion, for example) and then you have generic cheap movie replicas that are basically decorative wall-hangers (which is probably what you meant by the word).
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Thu 13 Sep, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I will also point out that the "Sword Buyer's Guide" website and forum are an *excellent* resource for the 'value' shopper. Their cachet isn't so much higher end like customs, Arms and Armor, Albion etc, as it is Windlass, Hanwei, Darksword etc.

We're a great crowd over at the forums and we're happy to point any interested askers to the best deals and pieces out there. Not that we have anything against expensive-- half the members have an Albion or something, it seems! Razz Seriously though, while the website focuses on "sub $300", we tend to look more at the 250-500ish bracket. The joke that goes around is it's not "sub 300" anymore, it's "sub 350.95"...

Bear in mind that the main website and Sword Manufacturer's Guide are highly dated due to a lack of regular maintenance. The forums are a much better resource.

Either way, both this forum and SBG's are great resources for the shopper... budget, value, or high end, whatever you like!
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would humbly suggest that the best thing most sites could do is post this language:

"Choosing reproduction arms and armour--and being happy with those purchases--requires historical knowledge, informed advice and reflection about personal interests, needs and wants. Get started by exploring www.myArmoury.com, the most complete and welcoming resource available for historic arms and armour collectors at all levels of experience."

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Writing a web article for sword buyers
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic