Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Pointed Fauld in 1343?! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ryan Harting

PostPosted: Mon 10 Sep, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Pointed Fauld in 1343?!         Reply with quote

The effigy of Kuno von Falkenstein in Kirchzarten Church, Germany; depicts the man in question with what appears to be a pointed fauld remarkably similar to the one in the Pistoia Altarpiece. 1343 seems to early for any fauld at all as far as I know, but I haven't yet seen a pointed fauld depicted in any German Artwork; so it seems unlikely to be an overzealous restoration. I am truly at a loss and if anyone can give me feedback of any kind please do so. http://effigiesandbrasses.com/monuments/kuno_.../original/
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Mon 10 Sep, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The dating might be based on death of the knight, while the effigy might have been erected later. Everything else looks good for a c.1350 dating though, and with those knee-length surcoats in vogue, who can say what's under them?
ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Ryan Harting

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Exactly what I thought, but he wears no schynbalds and his cops are more rondels than the typical flared soupcan of the period; which makes me almost skeptical that it was a stylization. On the other hand the supposition he was wearing a breastplate with a pointed fauld in Germany in 1343 when the first depiction I know of is in France and from the mid 1380's seems almost fantastical.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I doubt there is anything wrong with being 1340s but not usre it is faulds as we usually think. Likely some type of pair of plates. I am more and more convinced they did just about everything with them. I would not be surprised if we found one with a can and bottle opener..... OK I might be Happy. It would be a very early fauld though. The Pistoia Alterpiece is the earliest I know of at c. 1367-76.

Some c. 150s effigies still have no greaves and such but you are right it is becoming far less common for this. The Empire seems to hold onto this for sometime though.

RPM
Tom King

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When looking at the upper part of the effigy, the top of what appears to be a coat of plates is visible underneath the surcoat. It may be a stylized coat of plates with the horizontal ridges attempting to show that he is wearing a COP. Our knowledge of the Pistola breastplate with its shrinking front fauld might be coloring our interpretation, considering that no other part of the effigy suggests that he is wearing a breastplate under his surcoat.
Ryan Harting

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

While I am almost certain he is wearing a pair of plates, I spy no rivets on the fauld, which is somewhat troubling. But I see only mail with a stylized fold on the shoulder as it matches the width of the maille 'weave' in the sculpted pieces, not a partial representation of a coat of plates; but then again Effigies are always a little bit of a rorschach test for what one sees peeking out of that surcoat.
Timm Radt

PostPosted: Wed 12 Sep, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

...the whole armour fits to the time around 1340-45 and to the region, i.e. southwestern Germany and the Alsace. There was a very similar effigy of the Huernheim-family in Klosterzimmern abbey, which is now lost because it was illegally sold by the owner. It also showed a pointed fauld or better said a pointed coat of plates. Take a look at the pictures...

Cheers, Timm

Attachment: 93.38 KB
Hürnheim_Klosterzimmern.jpg

Attachment: 165.69 KB
TR_Falkenstein_I.jpg

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Pointed Fauld in 1343?!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic