Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > 15thC rondel reproduction/interpretation Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(3 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: 15thC rondel reproduction/interpretation         Reply with quote

Hi All,

On my workshop wall are pictures of things I have made, things that inspire and things that one day I will make and amongst these is a rondel I love.

The original is I think in the Army Museum in Paris but not entirely sure and I only have a side view of it. I eventually got around to making a piece heavily based on it and here it is.

The form of it if overll pretty similar, except that I believe the original top rondel is octagonal and I also of course could not see what if anything is going on on the top face. Because of this I used a design off a bollock dagger cap as the basis for the top of this rondel.

I did all of the mastering work and knife and scabbard making and Michael Anderson sculpted the Madonna and child.

The wood is box and the fittings are bronze.

I hope you like it

Tod

Attachment: 54.05 KB
06-527108.jpg

Attachment: 17.39 KB
brassrondel2[1].jpg

Attachment: 186.2 KB
musee ron 1.jpg

Attachment: 194.74 KB
musee ron 2.jpg

Attachment: 188.18 KB
musee ron 4.jpg

Attachment: 156.52 KB
musee ron 5.jpg

Attachment: 196.67 KB
musee ron3.jpg

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Impressive work: I really like the cream coloured wood contrasting with the bronze fittings.

Lovely file work and detailing of the bronze fittings and the scabbard + chape really harmonize with the whole rondel.

The low relief sculpture on the top rondel is really well drawn and executed and looks very period in style.

The blade looks to me to be and almost square/diamond section and very robust.

The top rondel in the pic of the original I could make a few guessed about it's shape:

A) Octagonal as you suggest.
B) Octagonal but with rounded corners.
C) Octagonal but also alternating subtlety concave on the sides and rounded at the corners, but very softly.
D) Round or octagonal originally but worn or slightly deformed, but hard to know for sure because of the angle of the rondel in the pic.

Leo, maybe you can add a few statistics about the blade and rondel dimensions, weight and handling ?

These very conical handles are usually meant to be used only with the ice pic grip and are comfortable with this grip, but not very functional with a forward grip.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Tristán Zukowski

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Amazing work, as always. I always love seeing pictures of your creations!
Tristan P. Zukowski
Longsword (KdF) Instructor, New York Historical Fencing Association
Longsword (KdF) Instructor, Sword Class NYC
Aaron Hoard

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Saw this earlier on your FB page - truly, amazing work.
J. Hargis

PostPosted: Sat 01 Sep, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tod:

As the owner of five of your pieces, I can only wonder how your output seems to go unabated. One work after the other that just knock me out cold. Incredible skill, artistry, and work ethic. There are only a few like you. Thanks.

Jon

A poorly maintained weapon is likely to belong to an unsafe and careless fighter.
Tyler Keich

PostPosted: Sat 01 Sep, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not my period of interest, but I have to say, this is amazingly beautiful. Your work is always fantastic, but this is a truly great piece. Keep up the good work!
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sun 02 Sep, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fantastic work, Todd. You captured the proportions of the original very nicely, and the details look just right. I have had the same problem with not being able to find a photo of the pommel top, a pity since it offers such a rich surface for decoration. I like the way you chose to solve that on this piece.

Is there a date or time period associated with the original, or any other provenance that you are aware of? I have seen pieces of similar design associated with the Landsknechts, but I wonder if the association is occasionally made in error, some styles at least must have been in more general use.
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

(3 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 03 Sep, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I really appredciate it.

Thanks Jon - 5 pieces really?

Justin King wrote
Quote:
Fantastic work, Todd. You captured the proportions of the original very nicely, and the details look just right. I have had the same problem with not being able to find a photo of the pommel top, a pity since it offers such a rich surface for decoration. I like the way you chose to solve that on this piece.

Is there a date or time period associated with the original, or any other provenance that you are aware of? I have seen pieces of similar design associated with the Landsknechts, but I wonder if the association is occasionally made in error, some styles at least must have been in more general use.

Thanks Justin, I really liked this piece and it seemed a shame to not make something similar, so it was a good way through the problem.

The piece looks to me like mid to late 15th as does the bollock dagger, but I have no provenance on either.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Joe Fults

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 03 Sep, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is just excellent.

Over the top in a very nice way!

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
J. Hargis

PostPosted: Fri 07 Sep, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks Jon - 5 pieces really?

Well yes, Leo. Two directly from you and three purchased from the 'Marketplace' here at myArmoury. Your work is always commented upon when friends and collectors look over my collection. With such ongoing output one has to wonder if you ever sleep.

Cheers, Jon

A poorly maintained weapon is likely to belong to an unsafe and careless fighter.
Carsten Oksen

PostPosted: Sat 29 Sep, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Top         Reply with quote

Hello Tod.

I actually have a picture of the top of that very dagger, so if you have not already found it, here it is.

Attachment: 200.23 KB
125_4_Z.jpg

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > 15thC rondel reproduction/interpretation
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic