Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion moving in new direction... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Amy Christensen-Waddell
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Fletcher wrote:
Hey Amy,
Thanks for the "short" reply Wink I am glad to hear you are staying true to your mission and would hate to see a compromise on quality. What you guys are doing is AWESOME, please keep up the fight!

Regards,

Mike

Thanks Mike - we appreciate that very much. :-) Our product lines have evolved over time, our specialties and concentrations, but the mission remains the same. Glad to hear it's supported! That's what makes it fun...

Big Grin

Amy Waddell
President/CEO
Albion Swords Limited, LLC

I wrote to the FBI to see if they had a file on me. They wrote back, "we do now..."
Amy Christensen-Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jay Barron wrote:
Amy,

Just the thought of Albion lowering your quality standards gives me the creeps. Albion, A&A, ATrim and a few other companies are like an oasis in a desert when it comes to sword collectors. I'm glad there are still people out their who value integrity over the mighty dollar.

Hi Jay,

Gives us the creeps too. *chuckle* There are those really difficult days when nothing is going right, cash is short, and bills are high... and I am envious of the companies who just make stuff without a care... and I think, "Wow... that'd be cool to have things be easy." But.. Gotta have standards. Otherwise, what's the point? Your example of learning boat building and going into that as a career, because you *want* to, is a perfect example. Be happy with what you do. It makes life grand. Happy

Amy Waddell
President/CEO
Albion Swords Limited, LLC

I wrote to the FBI to see if they had a file on me. They wrote back, "we do now..."
Michael Sigman
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

LOOK!!! LOOK!!! The first 2 page thread on myArmoury!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike Sigman
Albion Swords
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike ..... That's only because 'ol Mac hasn't whipped out his baskethilt pic's yet ...... *g*

....... But I will ....... ;-) Mac

Michael Sigman wrote:

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Michael Sigman
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas McDonald wrote:
Mike ..... That's only because 'ol Mac hasn't whipped out his baskethilt pic's yet ...... *g*

....... But I will ....... ;-) Mac

Michael Sigman wrote:

I am waiting..................................... done yet?

It is the simple thing in life that make me smile. Big Grin

Mike Sigman
Albion Swords
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Are you calling me out, laddie *g* ?

I'd hate to bog down the server , but if you really want 'em .......

Hmm, posting every baskethilt pic I've saved could be a challenge .......

;-) Mac

Michael Sigman wrote:
[/quote]

I am waiting..................................... done yet?

It is the simple thing in life that make me smile. Big Grin[/quote]

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Michael Sigman
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now you are going to get me in trouble huh? I can picture it already "Nathan I really did not want too but Mike challenged me!!! What was I to do?"
Mike Sigman
Albion Swords
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas McDonald wrote:
I'd hate to bog down the server ...]

The server and the forums are here for the specific reason to share valid, on-topic information. It would be a bit weird for me to put it on-line and then complain about people using it, huh? Happy

Go for it.

Many basket-hilts are featured int he photo albums, too.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Michael Sigman
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So you up for the challenge Mac? Come on buddy - still don't see any. Big Grin Laughing Out Loud
Mike Sigman
Albion Swords
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Amy Christensen-Waddell wrote:
Scott Byler wrote:
Between the Albion Mark stuff and the Jody Samson stuff going up all the time, I've found it most painful to be poor. Which leads me to ask you (tongue in cheek, naturally Big Grin ) to just ask Jody to quit making those swords. I mean, it is just plain painful to me to not be able to afford one. Especially a couple of his recent ones.... Happy

Sorry Scott... I wish I could, but the *only* time Jody is truly happy is when he's making swords. And we just ordered a new and bigger metal cutting bandsaw for him so he can cut the blade profile out more quickly, so about all I can say now is, he's planning for around 20 new swords a month if we can keep up with him in supplies... If I ask him to stop, I'll never get the bandsaw paid for, *and* I'll have a really grumpy Jody roaming around the building. Eek!

Well, Amy, if that would be the case, then by all means, tell Jody to go ahead and keep doing his thing... I said it was alright.... Happy Big Grin Seriously, though, the guy just did a sword or 2 that were very nearly in the ballpark of my 'perfect' sword and did a design a number of months back that was a close brother, nearly a twin, to one that I had designed a few years ago. I stop by often to see what kind of new stuff he has going. Always am impressed with the rack of in progress stuff, too. Happy
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Byler wrote:
Always am impressed with the rack of in progress stuff, too. Happy

I've always been impressed with just how prolific Jody is. He certainly puts out a ton of product! I don't know how he does it...

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Scott Byler wrote:
Always am impressed with the rack of in progress stuff, too. Happy

I've always been impressed with just how prolific Jody is. He certainly puts out a ton of product! I don't know how he does it...

Yeah, it is pretty impressive, to say the least. Wouldn't mind knowing how he does it so I could speed up my own stuff a bit. A couple of knives have taken me forever, and they aren't even complex... Sad I think getting a belt grinder as soon as I can will help a little bit, but might be deluded.... lol
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: The Secret         Reply with quote

Scott Byler wrote:
[
Wouldn't mind knowing how he does it so I could speed up my own stuff a bit. A couple of knives have taken me forever, and they aren't even complex... Sad I think getting a belt grinder as soon as I can will help a little bit, but might be deluded.... lol

Jody's main secret -- he works seven days a week, from about 4 in the morning to 4 in the afternoon... it is what he loves to do, and he never stops thinking about it Plus he has 30 years of experience -- I often think he could grind a better knife or sword in his sleep than I could.do wide awake -- it is almost like his hands know what to do so well that he barely has to think about it anymore.

A belt grinder will speed things up a lot -- Jody has 2 Burr-Kings that he has set up with different size contact wheels or different grits at the same time, so he can go back and forth without stopping to setup...

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Secret         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
Scott Byler wrote:
[
Wouldn't mind knowing how he does it so I could speed up my own stuff a bit. A couple of knives have taken me forever, and they aren't even complex... Sad I think getting a belt grinder as soon as I can will help a little bit, but might be deluded.... lol

Jody's main secret -- he works seven days a week, from about 4 in the morning to 4 in the afternoon... it is what he loves to do, and he never stops thinking about it Plus he has 30 years of experience -- I often think he could grind a better knife or sword in his sleep than I could.do wide awake -- it is almost like his hands know what to do so well that he barely has to think about it anymore.

A belt grinder will speed things up a lot -- Jody has 2 Burr-Kings that he has set up with different size contact wheels or different grits at the same time, so he can go back and forth without stopping to setup...

Best,

Howy

It is always nice to love what you are doing, really. It is kind of like my (feeble) artwork. Even when I'm not doing it, I'm thinking about it and wanting to get back on it.

I have to get a grinder, no doubt about it. Hand polishing the very roughest grit grind lines out as I have been doing on my little projects loses its joy really quickly. On the one hand, working a blade into a nice clean form can make something that only resembled a blade before start to come to life. On the other, spending hours and hours sanding in the beginning becomes tedious, at least to me. Can hardly wait to try to put a nice finish on a sword length blade, really. That will challenge my patience to the end of my endurance, I expect. lol
Jay Barron

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Sigman wrote:

Well you know it could always be a tax right off then. If you were to make a wooden boat - you need something to cut the wood with don't you. Big Grin

Or if I were to build a Viking longboat I would need a Vinland sword with which to go raiding. Cool

Constant and true.
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Sat 23 Aug, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike or Amy,

Any word on when the sword based on XII.11 will be offered? Part of the Next Generation? I saw the pics of the waxes on your site, but there has been nary a word of late.

Eagerly yours,

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 24 Aug, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Maly wrote:
Mike or Amy,

Any word on when the sword based on XII.11 will be offered? Part of the Next Generation? I saw the pics of the waxes on your site, but there has been nary a word of late.

Eagerly yours,

Hey, Steve!

I am neither Mike nor Amy, but I'd be happy to answer you question!

Peter is coming back for his regular visit in mid-September to finalize the first batch of Museum Line swords, finalize details on the next three of the M line, and to give us input on the next series of NextGen Albion Marks. The XII with the transition hilt is one of those. If all goes well, that sword and 3 or 4 other new models should be ready to roll before the end of the calendar year.

Best,

Howy
Albion
Michael L Smith

PostPosted: Sun 24 Aug, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike,

Glad to see you people from Albion here.

I'm still enjoying my Gaddhjalt and Bog swords, but that Vinland just might have shot to the top of my list. That's one gorgeous sword.

Regards
Michael Sigman
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 25 Aug, 2003 5:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Michael!! It is nice to be seen. Big Grin The Vinland, I think, is my favorite out of this batch. That one is going to end up in my collection as well, I think. Wink
Mike Sigman
Albion Swords
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Mon 25 Aug, 2003 9:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah it's great to see some wide fullers...I'll be picking one up... don't know which one yet, havta see'em in a finished state....On your comming soon list for the Next Generation Albion Mark™ Medieval Line you have a XVII listed, since this is one of my favorites Types can you give up any info on this? And last can you give any info on The Albion Mark™ Peter Johnsson Museum Collection™ Svante when it will be available along with pics.?

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion moving in new direction...
Page 2 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: