Questions on mystery antique

I saw this picture in a thread on another forum in response to someone trying to design a fantasy viking weapon with wolfs head motifs. This was posted as an antique, and what drew me was one- the inlay style/motifs(I am assuming, based on scant knowledge, that it is inlay), and two the lobes on the end of either side of the pommel appear to be bear heads, and were stated as such by the poster of the image.

If anyone knows of info on this blade, as far as a specific find/museum, further pictures, or anything, i'd be in your debt. I've considered having a blade made in this style, but was hesitant as the animal head motif there was fantasy, and my interests just aren't in that area. I see nothing to alert me to it being a fake, though it could be, i'm new to examining historical blades and wouldn't be shocked. Also, i'm not entirely sure the lobes are a bears head, but the poster of the image stated they were, and they do appear to be such...

I'm just looking for general guidance on time period, as well as any further examples of similar blades or this exact one. Guesses on any of it's metrics or such would be great, but given I have only the one pic, I'm not expecting much. I have pinged the original poster of the image with a request for further information, but am still waiting. Basically any input on this as a prospective piece to be commissioned that a smith might want to know. I have some, but i'm deferring to the superior collective knowledge of the community here.

Also- suggestions as to smiths who would be able to tackle this project would be most welcomed. I know Jeff Helmes will likely be mentioned, and he is definitely on 'the list' if this proceeds, but further names are welcomed.

EDIT- I'm also well aware this could be posted in a resource book like Petersen's DE NORSKE VIKINGESVERD that I just don't have on hand. I've been borrowing from friends and such and lazily not ordered my own copy or read cover to cover yet. So apologies if that ends up being the case, but appreciation in advance anyhow!
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=22401

That sword as well as other's of its type are discussed in the above thread. Its find location and museum are listed...

In addition to Jeff Helmes, who is great to work with, Robert Moc or Patrick Barta would be other choices to do this. I have a spot with Robert Moc, and had initially considered this as one of my potential swords to do, but decided to go a different route.

Look at Tim Lison's Rus type Z to get an example of one of this type brought back to life gloriously...
Robin Smith wrote:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=22401

That sword as well as other's of its type are discussed in the above thread. Its find location and museum are listed...

In addition to Jeff Helmes, who is great to work with, Robert Moc or Patrick Barta would be other choices to do this. I have a spot with Robert Moc, and had initially considered this as one of my potential swords to do, but decided to go a different route.

Look at Tim Lison's Rus type Z to get an example of one of this type brought back to life gloriously...

Thank you, I just got a reply from the original person who I found the image from on it too. I usually am much more thorough in trying to research things, but I am working 60-72 hours a week right now, and just can't seem to remember what shoe on what foot hardly. Thanks a ton for the information!

As I found out, this is the relevant info on it, including the book the photo is from and rough translation-

Quote:
That's the only photo I have. It's from Viikinkien perintö, a book of museum photos by István Rácz. Translated from Finnish, the caption goes: "86. A sword found in Södermanland, Sweden, made in the late 10th Century. - The sword's pommel is shaped like two bears looking in opposite directions. The pommel, upper guard and cross are decorated with spirals and animals with dotted bodies. The decoration is in the so called Mammen style. Södermanland Södertälje, SHM 20981."

Upside is, the time period is *perfectly* in line with my Danish kit...
Another pic of the hilt

Attachment: 53.32 KB
istvanracz002.jpg

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: