Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Articulated Gauntlets: Padding and Damage Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Matt J.

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Articulated Gauntlets: Padding and Damage         Reply with quote

Something occurred to me earlier... with articulated metal gauntlets, what do you wear under them? Silk gloves?

One thing which I find very scary about gauntlets... if they are severely dented, will your hand be crushed and trapped? If so, how do you get it off and treat your hand?
F Hynd

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

With my gauntlets I just wear thick leather gloves. doing full contact steel combat and short of full force punches this enough. as the gauntlet should spread the impact.

note i use mitten style gauntlets over finger gauntlets.

Not a great pic but the best i have.

as for the gauntlets being crushed dented sufficiently to trap your hand unless they are fully enclosed like a glove. there i an extremely low chance of this happening from my experience. most likely chance is an articulation jamming at full extension.

I have used finger gauntlets as well and have seen more injuries with them. But in almost all cases you would be better off with than without.

thats my two pence.
Morten Lahrmann

PostPosted: Tue 21 Aug, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey

Also doing full contact for a number of years and now also Battle of the Nations, I have taken my share of bruises on the knuckles and joints of the hands of the years.

Currently, I am using 5mm felt as lining for my mitten gauntlets, which have been working extremely well so far. Incl. two BotN tournaments I have not had one injury related to my hands this year, so I can highly recommend felt as lining material.

Sincerely
Morten Lahrmann
Compagnie de Vignolles, Denmark
Mark T

PostPosted: Thu 23 Aug, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Matt, It's not so much that you wear gloves under them, but that gloves are attached to them.

Dave Hewitt from White Rose Armoury recently told me he recommends 'Town and Country' brand unlined premium leather gloves - and that the Armouries apparently use these in all their gauntlets.

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Articulated Gauntlets: Padding and Damage
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic