7th century Anglo Saxon Clothing
I have been sucked into 7th century Anglo Saxon thanks to you Wulfheodenas folks and your awesome kits.

I am interested in the clothing, mostly fiber content, of 7th century graves. I read the Morning Thorpe Nf4 G157 has a linen tunic with a diamond twill pattern. I also read the Taplow Bu2 had linen leg covers. I find it interesting there is such good evidence for linen clothing here but would love to read more about what was found at other grave sites. Can anyone suggest some good reading materials or know where one can get site reports for more/other graves?

Thanks
7th C clothing
Hi James,
thanks for the compliment, I'm sure Dave H and Paul M and possibly Matt B will all be able to help you on this, So once they've spotted this thread, expect some constructive feedback. Unfortunately not my field, so I can't help,
but good luck and welcome to the dark side.

Bruce
Bump this up to see if it grabs anyone's attention.
I'm overseas at the moment so don't have any reference material to hand. However, if you don't have it already, start with Penny Walton Rogers' book "Cloth and Clothing in Early Anglo Saxon England".
A very good general study of 5th-8th century clothing with an extensive bibliography which lead you onto further reading and site reports.
Reports themselves can be hard to find and expensive but I have many AS site reports and don't mind scanning and sending relevent information from them.
Matthew Bunker wrote:
I'm overseas at the moment so don't have any reference material to hand. However, if you don't have it already, start with Penny Walton Rogers' book "Cloth and Clothing in Early Anglo Saxon England".

I actually have that book. That is where I got some of the info I mentioned; I know there are more graves and hope to see more info.

Matthew Bunker wrote:
A very good general study of 5th-8th century clothing with an extensive bibliography which lead you onto further reading and site reports.

I should have thought about that. :lol:

Matthew Bunker wrote:
Reports themselves can be hard to find and expensive but I have many AS site reports and don't mind scanning and sending relevent information from them.

That would be amazing thank you, please don't put yourself out doing so.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: