Pikula Kilij inspired by Sultan Bayezid II sword
Greetings. I am very excited about this project with Michael Pikula and so I thought I should share with my friends on myArmoury.

[ Linked Image ]

The project began when I stumbled across this photo on WikiPedia of a Kilij attributed to Sultan Bayezid II in the 16th century. Two things excited me about the image. The first was that it shows a kilij that has much less curvature to the blade than is usual. The other is that the photo provided much of the dimensional measurements to reproduce the sword...at least in two dimensional terms.

What I wanted was a similar kilij in terms of size and curvature, that would be an extremely high quality sword in terms of both looks and feel as well as performance as a fighting sword of the type used in period. I contacted several smiths and received various quotes and suggestions. Everyone I contacted recommended Michael as one of the top 2 or 3 people to execute this commission. I am one to take the advice of those more knowledgeable than myself, so I contacted Michael to discuss the commission a few weeks prior to him announcing he was no longer taking commissions. During our discussions he mentioned that he was familiar with the sword in question and had already been comtemplating a reproduction of it for sale. At that point I knew the stars were aligned for this sword. :D

Work is well underway and here is the first picture of the blade. I am, to say the least, excited to see this project at completion.

Hope you all enjoy the ride vicariously. :cool:

[ Linked Image ]
Looks fantastic. Definitely captures the kilij feel....

Is the sword's blade 85 cm from the tang, or is this straight line actually 85, making blade even longer ?
WOW! That is just great! I don't think I've seen a curved blade from Michael. Top notch stuff and I can't wait to see more "in progress" shots!
Great idea for a commission Mike. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Wonderful
Wow Mike, this is really going to be an outstanding piece I am sure. I am very much looking forward to the finished product and will try not to be too envious.
Its great to see someone else taking an interest in curved swords from this
time period, and a kilij no less !

I like the shape and look so far -- as it is obviously sharing traits with the
historical artifact. That full tang will give the sword extra-durability, and I
imagine stability as well.
I love the combination of gentle curvature and the yelman!
Thanks everyone for the encouragment.

Matthew, I assure you that you are not the only one around here with a passion for curved swords of the 1500-1800 time period. Particularly for the kilij and shamshir. :D

Luka, that is exactly what caught my interest in the photo of the original. I love the kilij, but I find the ones with slighter curves and pronounced yelman to be the most attractive style. This one seemed just about perfect to me.

I can't wait to see what Michael does with the bronze guard and hardwood or horn grip slabs. I'm really leaving the aesthetics to him. He's smarter than me. ;)
Also looking forward to seeing more " in progress pics, or just the finished sword pics.

The handling of the sword should be superb based on my own experience with Pikula swords and other weapons.

I also hope he posts some comments about the making of this sabre and the design process if he has the time.
Quote:
Matthew, I assure you that you are not the only one around here with a passion for
curved swords of the 1500-1800 time period. Particularly for the kilij and shamshir.

I dunno, Mike. I've done some considerable searching. Time and time again. Only recently,
and I'll go all egotistical and suggest around the time I posted a blade here and there, have
we started to see a bit more activity and attention on The Saber Front. A good thing ... But
peoples' interests are what they are ... B-)

A question for you, though, with regard to Mr. Pikula's making of the blade : Did he forge the
curve ? or was it a process of -- and I think this might be the term I'm looking for -- stock
removal ? Or maybe a combination ?

I've been constantly under an impression that during heat treatment a blade MAY " bow " or
curve. For a sword meant to be straight, this ain't good. But for a sword meant to be curved
it can be an unintended ( or intended ! ) bit of luck that adds more ... presence ... to the sword.
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:
Quote:
Matthew, I assure you that you are not the only one around here with a passion for
curved swords of the 1500-1800 time period. Particularly for the kilij and shamshir.

I dunno, Mike. I've done some considerable searching. Time and time again. Only recently,
and I'll go all egotistical and suggest around the time I posted a blade here and there, have
we started to see a bit more activity and attention on The Saber Front. A good thing ... But
peoples' interests are what they are ... B-)

A question for you, though, with regard to Mr. Pikula's making of the blade : Did he forge the
curve ? or was it a process of -- and I think this might be the term I'm looking for -- stock
removal ? Or maybe a combination ?

I've been constantly under an impression that during heat treatment a blade MAY " bow " or
curve. For a sword meant to be straight, this ain't good. But for a sword meant to be curved
it can be an unintended ( or intended ! ) bit of luck that adds more ... presence ... to the sword.

I'd second Mike here, if you'd pardon me chiming in Matthew. I love Sabres and I know I am not completely alone in this :D
Mike Harris wrote:
He's smarter than me. ;)

I certainly wouldn't say smarter, but I do know a thing or two, about a thing or two, from time to time. ;)

This sword certainly is different from anything I have made in the past and the handling is pretty unique. Definitely has the feeling of "slice and dice"

The curve and profile was all done by forging, as well as the edge bevel. At the end of the forging I flipped the blade around and forged the end over to give me the knob at the end of the hilt. It is true that some curvature can be the result of heat treating but utilizing salt baths this effect is reduced to essentially negligible.

Thanks for all the comments!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: