Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New to Medieval Swords, Need Book recommendations Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joshua Hatfield

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jul, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: New to Medieval Swords, Need Book recommendations         Reply with quote

I've recently taken an interest in long swords, mostly after discovering Albion's site and reading the reviews here and at other forums. Recognizing that European swords and their Japanese cousins are completely different, I was wondering if anyone would recommend a fairly affordable book (or several) that I could study.

I once perused a copy of the Swordsman's Companion by Windsor, but it is now out of print, and almost absurdly priced on most buying sites. Anything similar to that book out there? Question

Thanks in advance,

Josh
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jul, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Medieval Swords, Need Book recommendations         Reply with quote

Joshua Hatfield wrote:
I've recently taken an interest in long swords, mostly after discovering Albion's site and reading the reviews here and at other forums. Recognizing that European swords and their Japanese cousins are completely different, I was wondering if anyone would recommend a fairly affordable book (or several) that I could study.

I once perused a copy of the Swordsman's Companion by Windsor, but it is now out of print, and almost absurdly priced on most buying sites. Anything similar to that book out there? Question

Thanks in advance,

Josh

We have an entire section on books that has our reading list, our member reading lists, member book reviews, and much more. As you start to add to your own reading and wish lists, our site will give you personalized suggestions. Also in the sidebar of that section is a list of featured articles in our Paper Armoury series as well as our comprehensive bibliography.

Take a look at the books section and see what it has to offer. I'm not too humble to suggest that it's the most on-topic source of arms- and armour-related book information on the 'net.

Cheers

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jul, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You can refine your interests by reading the "Features" articles covering the Oakeshott Typology (and the man himself).
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Don Stanko

Reading list: 482 books

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jul, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you find a book out of your price range, you could go to your local library and request an inner-library loan. This is a free service and you will find just about any book you're looking for (My library even found De Norske Vikingsverd by Jan Petersen).

Just a thought...
Ian S LaSpina

Reading list: 5 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jul, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ewart Oakeshott's Records of the Medieval Sword is a great resource on most European sword designs and is generally available at good prices. I think it's fair to say that it's widely considered a must own for students of European swords.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest
"Monsters are dangerous, and just now Kings are dying like flies..."
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jul, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ian S LaSpina wrote:
Ewart Oakeshott's Records of the Medieval Sword is a great resource on most European sword designs and is generally available at good prices. I think it's fair to say that it's widely considered a must own for students of European swords.

This. I'd also add Ian Pierce's "Swords of the Viking Age". There are some absolutely stunning swords in the Viking period, and SotVA makes a good companion to Records.

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Joshua Hatfield

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jul, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thank you all for the feedback and suggestions. Excellent wealth of information here!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New to Medieval Swords, Need Book recommendations
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic